BA T5 Manual, is it that bad? or worse? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2003, 08:06   #1 (permalink)
BOF

BA T5 Manual, is it that bad? or worse?

OK, these comments may upset some people but I tell it how it is, and if my comments upset you then I am not sorry

As some of you know I recently changed from a 2002 VX S pack 5 speed to the ford equal of the NA XR6 5 speed, and after a few weeks now I can offer a blow for blow comparison.

As stated in a another post, the VX S had
4 electric windows
Traction Control
Auto window down
Side airbags standard.

My XR doesnt have any of the above, but it does have one hell of a fine chassis, engine, interior and is one hell of a great car, which I feel lacks a few standard extras which is offered by the opposition (VX/VY S pack) and like it or not, I'm sure it's hurting sales, most people really dont care about the less power etc, and a test drive will show that power difference is actually hard to notice.

BUT, I am shocked by the weak link in the chain or my BA XR6, THE T5, it's a serious pig, as I have read, or perhaps I have a seriously bad example, but I am shocked that a car can be so good overall with such a weak link in the chain, my G/F who drove the S pack all the time and doesnt care about cars said last night after driving the XR on her own "The gearbox in the XR is seriously bad, I much prefer the gearbox in the S pack, it was so much easier to drive"
This coming from someone who doesnt know or even like cars.

Ford, the T5 must go or I have got a very bad example, this baby will grind going into 5th when driving hard from 4th or even when driving easy from 3rd. Reverse and first gears take a couple of goes also.

A GETRAG in my XR6 and I would be alot happier.

Like it or not, it's far far better box. I wish now I had ordered an auto.
VC Valiant 245Hemi, 280zx Nissan 5 speed, 88 EA 3.9CFI,94 ED Gli X Chaser, 79 FC LTD, 351, FMX, 91 EA2 Fairmont Ghia, 1999 AU S pack, 2000 AU Forte, 1992 EB2 XR8, 2001 AU2 SR, 2002 VX2 Acclaim, 2002 VX2 Manual S pack,2003 BA XR6 manual, 2001 VX2 Berlina.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2003, 10:08   #2 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Re: BA T5 Manual, is it that bad? or worse?

i think you should sell your Ford and buy another vx becuase it will make you much happier.. for the rest of us we will put up with the blue oval product....hope these comments dont get up your nose like your xr....

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:18   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Reverse will always be hard to engage as it doesnt have synchromesh. I find with mine (EL XR6 Manual) first can be a little hard to grab too, and although it isn't the nicest of boxes, it really isnt that bad. If you are really that concerned take it to your Ford dealer and have them test drive it. If it's not up to standard it will be replaced under warranty. It's your duty to do so, you handed over the dosh so everything should be right.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 13:15   #4 (permalink)

My T5 has nearly 200,000kms on it and I dont have any major complaints with it. Perhaps you got a dud?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 13:59   #5 (permalink)

Ford recommend 150ml Lubrizol 7906 friction modifier be added to the gearbox. Has this been done, it may help. (Or learn to double-clutch)
Old 07-11-2003, 16:45   #6 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

You could have a bad example of a T5, or it could be low on oil, or not have any additive.
I've had several T5's behind sixes and V8's, and I feel a lot of the bad comments are unjustified. I find they shift quite OK, not state of the art, but good.

Another matter is oil, I feel that ATF is just not up the the job, and the first thing I always do when owning a T5 equipped car is to dump the ATF and fill it with light gear oil. Penrite make a gear oil specifically for this purpose. It is Penrite extra light gear oil, 75/80.
This of course may void any warranty on the box, but it may be worth it if you want it to feel better.
Perhaps you could mention the oil to the service department.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 20:05   #7 (permalink)

Firstly, the T5 does have a proxy synchro cluster-brake reverse, which should work fine unless you watched too much night rider as a kid and drive accordingly. You will find that many people find the Getrag easy to shift due to the fact that the stick is so vague. In-gear deadband in a Getrag stick is greater than full cross gate travel in a late model T5. Many people cannot differentiate between "precise" and "clunky".You will also find that the box has got castrol syntrans in it. Ford started using this crap in AU, and have now discontinued it in the V8 box, which has been returned to the original factory spec oil. Obviously they have gallons left over and are using it up in the locally assembled boxes. Tremec T5 are not rated for use with gear oil. They must run dexron III or equivalent, as the new synchro material will glaze up with continued gear oil use.
Old 07-11-2003, 20:19   #8 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

No complaints with my box - try doing the fluid?

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 07:27   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

The rest of the car is so good a tight gear box shows up. Yea change to a lighter fluid..

www.ttcautomotive.com/english/products/T-5.asp
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:44   #10 (permalink)
BOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
i think you should sell your Ford and buy another vx becuase it will make you much happier.. for the rest of us we will put up with the blue oval product....hope these comments dont get up your nose like your xr....
But why? The XR is such a better car than the VX, I thought I made this clear? It's just that myself and everyone that drives the XR comments about how the gearbox is very hard to use compared to the VX.

I will get it checked at the 3000km service on the weekend.

And XRFPV8, could it just be that the Getrag is a better box than the T5?? or don't you crawl out of your cave and stand up on your hind legs long enough to take an unbiased look at the world?
VC Valiant 245Hemi, 280zx Nissan 5 speed, 88 EA 3.9CFI,94 ED Gli X Chaser, 79 FC LTD, 351, FMX, 91 EA2 Fairmont Ghia, 1999 AU S pack, 2000 AU Forte, 1992 EB2 XR8, 2001 AU2 SR, 2002 VX2 Acclaim, 2002 VX2 Manual S pack,2003 BA XR6 manual, 2001 VX2 Berlina.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline