Ford Forums banner

Bang, Bang, Bang!

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  EVL-TE 
#1 ·
I get a real loud banging noise when i get wheelspin in my EA. It's almost as if something is hitting under the car, and gets louder as the wheels spin quicker.

The diff has a bit of play in it, the shockers need replacing cos they're shot, but everything else is fine.

If axle tramp is the cause of the banging, what will stop axle tramp after replacing the shocks?

#4 ·
No I know what he means, I occassionally get the noise, it seriously does sound like something hitting the car.

Becuase it mainly happens to me during wheel spin at at low speed under high torque conditions, and low speed/high torque cornering, I think it may be the body flexing a small amount, which knocks a panel out of alignment and then back in, and that cuases it to bang.

But thats just a guess...

#5 ·
I get the same noise if I give it a bit in reverse... well i think the same anyway, sounds sorta like a big rubber band going twang twang twang

G
#6 ·
EVL-TE said:
I get a real loud banging noise when i get wheelspin in my EA. It's almost as if something is hitting under the car, and gets louder as the wheels spin quicker.
Have you looked inside your boot?
There might be a little Female dressed in white with wings and a halo with a big hammer in her right hand.

#11 ·
I'll hafta whack it up on axle stands and have a look whe its not pissing down with rain here.

Thanks everyone.

#12 ·
Any update on this ? Im getting the same problem atm and notice even the gearbox shakes when i get the banging, its been happening for a few weeks. I had it looked at and they said the exhaust is banging the car, but I don't think exhaust could be causing the banging/shaking ?

#13 ·
Sounds to me like the tailshaft hitting on the tunnel, either that or your uni's might be rooted. My car was making lots of weird noises, both taking off hard and in reverse. Took out the tailshaft and the unis fell out of it into my hands! Had it rebuilt and it has been quiet as a mouse ever since.

#15 ·
OK, i've had a look at the car. Here's what i've found.

Lower trailing rod arm bushes are shot
Uppers could do with replacing but are ok.
Panhard Bars are fine
Diff has a stack of play in it
Shocks are shot as well.

Gotta get myself some cash then i'll see what happens.

Might check the tailshaft too. See if the uni's are gone or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.