Bellhousing mods, T5 to single rail bell? for clevo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2006, 00:17   #1 (permalink)
ZK 351

Bellhousing mods, T5 to single rail bell? for clevo

Ok guys i have found fragmented pieces of information all over the web (including on here) about using a single rail bellhousing for a T5 behind a clevo,
as far as i can gather you need to shave 2-3mm off some part of the T5 to make it mate properly, then Drill and Tap 2 holes in the bellhousing..

CAN anyone supply any futher info on this, pics would be awesome. even pics with arrows and text would do fine..
or just real detail.

and i dont want to hear how much a bought bellhousing is from Dellow or CRS etc, i just want to know about the single rail bell mod's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2006, 01:16   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Bellhousing mods, T5 to single rail bell? for clevo

go to the put .au at the end of this forums URL and PM pilch. He has a T5 behind a 351C in an XC Falcon.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:24   #3 (permalink)
ZK 351

just checked that out, and
"I started looking around in the trading post and such, and eventually bought a T5 with CRS custom bellhousing for $800 which had previously been fitted behind a 351 Clevo producing 250rwkw"

so he wont be able to answer my query unfortunately, seeing as he has a CRS bell, thanks though.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:00   #4 (permalink)

The nose of the t5 where the throw out bearing runs needs to be machined down to fit the hole of the single rail bellhousing.Unbolt it and take it and the bell housing to a machine shop.I used a t5 from an ed 6.The input shaft is the same as single rail so you can use the same clutch. The mounting holes of the t5 dont line up with any in the single rail housing. The top 2 holes will have to be drilled and taped in the bellhousing. The bottom 2 holes are a problem. When you fit the t5 up to the housing you will see that they are right on the bottom edge of the bellhousing. While I had the bellhousing at the machine shop they marked where the bottom bolts needed to go and made 2 large holes in the housing. In those holes they fitted some metal dowls witch were drilled and taped for the bottom bolts.The shifter fits through the same hole as the single rail and the t5 rear mount is in the same place as well. This conversion was done to a v8 xe so I just had to drill a hole in the gearbox crossmember and used the stock t5 mount.The stock xe tailshaft fitted as well.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 23:31   #5 (permalink)
ZK 351

thanks freddy,
Old 04-25-2006, 00:13   #6 (permalink)

I am doing this conversion to my XB coupe (351 Cleveland) and my brother is putting one in his XY (302 Windsor). Gearboxes for both cars are 6 cyl T5's. I have a Dellow bellhousing but we are still investigating options for my bro as he is on a budget. I agree with previous posts, the face of the single rail bellhousing does not go low enough to suit the T5, though it can be modified.

We have heard that a V8 3 speed manual bellhousing has a larger face which will suit the T5. I have never seen one, I thought only Holden were silly enough to put a 3 speed manual behind a V8, but have been quoted $100 for one in Perth. The centre hole needs to be machined and new holes drilled for the box, but is the easiest option apparently. As I said I can't confirm this yet, but we should have the bellhousing in the next couple of weeks.
xb hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 00:17   #7 (permalink)

Sorry just thought of a question, are you using a 6 cyl T5 or a V8 one? The input shafts are different, with the 6 cyl one being easier to fit.
xb hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:14   #8 (permalink)

I bought a 351C/T5 combination that did the adaption slightly differently. It used the cast iron single rail b/h and I6 T5. The top bolt holes were re-drilled and tapped to suit the T5, but the bottom "ears" on the transmission were cut off (from another smashed up donor T5) and welded on in a different location. This allowed the single rail b/h to work well with the bottom bolts coming through in the thick bolt-pad area just an inch away from the original holes. The input shaft bearing retainer was machined down to fit in the original single rail b/h. Other than that, just standard Ford parts.

I have recently put a CRS left hand late model starter b/h and I6 T5 into my 5.0 Fairmont. The T5 seems to be quite happy behind this motor. With a 351 cleveland though I would be starting to get worried about the torque capacity of the T5. Remember the Cobra Mustangs went with a Tremec when they upped the capacity to 5.8 litres.

Good luck
Tris
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:54   #9 (permalink)

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...jziW_p860xRliw

complete conversion with pics
dalehotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline