best acceleration from manual - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2002, 10:58   #1 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

best acceleration from manual

How do you guys find you get the best acceleration from the manual fords. I seem to think get revs up to at least 2000 before releasing the clutch works well, otherwise if its sorta both at the same time the 0-20km/hr accelerating is pretty sluggish anyhow, afterthat the acceleration is unreal. Some people reckon rev it up to around 4250rpm where the most power is and then release the clutch.
Opinions guys
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2002, 11:17   #2 (permalink)
Steve81

I also find getting a good start out of first a problem, but as soon as you hit second youve got nothing but guts. It will be interesting to hear some answers to this question.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:50   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

The way I used to take off for max acceleration was by revving to about 2800 rpm with the clutch in. I then used to drop the clutch, and floor the throttle. There was usually a fair bit of wheel spin through first, but it still maintained a very good pull.

However, I blew up my diff doing something similar to this, so when I go back to the 2.77, I'll have to figure out something else.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:01   #4 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

ouch

Well I dont want to go blowing the diff, I have a good one in there anyway, first gear ration (err maybe i should say ratio hehe) is 3.45 and it goes alright.
Old 03-22-2002, 00:24   #5 (permalink)
mickt

take off

Bass and all. I've had 3 manuals before all of diff. cars. You will perfect excellent take off over time and trial. I found that smooth release of the clutch and good acceleration is the best rather than revving and dumping. This is fine for wheel spinning but it bogs down as traction occurs. With autos for good take off in a rev range, stall it up a bit.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:34   #6 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: take off

I when I get back to driving the EA i'll be giving what you said a go as that is what most people have been telling me.

However, when I dump the clutch, the revs sit at 4500rpm, and when it gets traction, it basically dosent bog down, It just continues to rev to 5000rpm.

While where on the topic of manuals, has anyone shortened there gear shifter??

I am thinking of cutting an inch or two off the thing, just wondering if anyone else has done it, and does 1st become an annoying reach?

Cheers
Old 03-22-2002, 22:38   #7 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

hmm

Why you wanna shorten your shifter ? Maybe it gets in the way when you doing those chicks in the front eh ? or they think the shifter is longer than your.. eh i will shutup hehe. Anyway nuh I havnt tried it.
What you said about the revs going high without the traction i found that happened when i go from 0 aruond the corners too fast, or more often when I had the stock tyres, but the 215s seem bit better for it
Old 03-23-2002, 13:47   #8 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: hmm

LOL... nar it has not got anything to do with my chicks

A shorter shifter usually makes gear changes easier and quicker, and not to mention look better.

The shifter shaft is aluminum and has a bend in it. I am trying to decide whether to remove the bend when I shorten it, but that would make 1st a bit of a reach from my muzza seating position

Anyhow, if I do it, I'll let ya know
Old 03-23-2002, 22:13   #9 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

yeh

K let us know what u do
Old 03-24-2002, 09:42   #10 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

I've found that the slow release of the clutch is the best way by a long shot. I spent an hour or so with a mate trying different methods. I actually lost over a second in my 0-100 time by dumping the clutch. (7.9 seconds VS. 9.1 seconds when dumping the clutch).

Bass, i've been thinking about shortening my gear lever for a while, it's supposedly a very simple operation, but i just haven't got around to it yet. I've seen it done on other cars (never an EA), and it is soooooooo much nicer. Makes shifting much faster!

As for removing the bend, i think it'd just depend on the individual (ie. your seating possition, and how long your arms are!). Perhaps try the gear lever from an AU first (they are the same, but just don't have the bend in them). I know that in the AU, most people (me included!) bang their hands on the stereo when in 1st or 3rd, so perhaps removing the bend is not such a good idea (although, i think the AU dash sticks out more as well).

Let us know what you decide - I hope this was of some use...

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline