Borg Warner Diff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2001, 20:00   #1 (permalink)

Question Borg Warner Diff

Someone out there might have an idea ...

I have a Borg Warner diff in my XF with stock 2.77 gears. I'm looking at upgrading to 3.3 or 3.5 (is that right? or is it 3.35?). Anyway, will the Borg Warner handle it? I know everyone runs a 9 inch, and that's the way to go, but financially, all I can do at the moment is change the ratio. My mechanic reckons the Borg Warner's strong enough, and he's never heard of one breaking. What do you people think?
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2001, 20:11   #2 (permalink)

If you plan to go drag racing or drop heaps of burnouts on a regular basis then consider seriously upgrading to a 9". I take it your XF is V8? Borg Warners are pretty strong (much better than holden Banjo, is that Bang-go) but they aren't meant to take torture.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 20:29   #3 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Hi Carolyn,

Yes a 2 pinion borgy is fine if you don't do burnouts or change gears hard.(hence I blew the **** out of mine..giggle)

Your best bet is to find a 4 pinion LSD from an ex cop XE. May be difficult to find but mind bogglingly strong. Remember to get a 2.92 or lower diff because the 2.77 carrier cannot accept any lower gears than 2.77(large 2.77 pinion reqired offset carrier)
A 2.92 carrier can accept the lower 3.23,3.5,3.7,3.9,4.1 gears

Do you know if your diff has 25 or 28 spline axles? There are XF's with 4 pinion diffs which are 28 spline.
The 4pinion V8 diffs are 28 spline. 2 pinion are 25spline.
From memory EA up borgies are all 28spline but I'm not sure if there was carrier redesign that means you can't use them in earlier diff housings.

Pete.
Old 10-24-2001, 03:50   #4 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Question

Speaking of Borg warner diffs does anyone know if its possible to do a swap to 31 spline axles for an ED LSD setup? I want to retain the Watts linkage and standard geometry so no 9" conversions.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:08   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I am not sure, but I think LSDs are all 4 pinion .. other than that try a ute/van diff if the ratio isnt too low
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:12   #6 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

All Open wheelers were 2 pin, and LSD came in both 2 and 4 pin.

So the book says anyway.

Where would I find out if a later model diff carrier will fit into an XF diff housing?

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:22   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Borg Warner Diff

Quote:
Originally posted by carolyn
. My mechanic reckons the Borg Warner's strong enough, and he's never heard of one breaking. What do you people think?
\
dunno about XF's but I broke 4 BW diffs and snapped an axle in a 302 XB many moons ago ... ended up getting a 9 inch to save time more than anything else!
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:26   #8 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I have heard from many places that the 4-pin BW Diff is actually very strong, apparently the difference between a 2-pin and a 4-pin diff is huge.

I was thinking about getting a carrier from an EA/B/D if they fit.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 15:02   #9 (permalink)

Smile

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. Yes, I will be doing some drag racing and a few burnouts (if I can cope with picking the rubber off my guards!), so I think I'll go the 9 inch and be done with it.

I've got access to a nine inch with 3.7 (is that right?) gears. Is this going to be too much for highway cruising, which is predominately what I'll be doing? What will the strain on the motor and the economy be like?

And yes, it is a V8!
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 15:27   #10 (permalink)

3.7 will be pretty low for the highway, fuel economy will be sh*t. Good for burnouts and drasgs though! Maybe you can consider buying another centre, say a 3.00:1 or 3.25:1 and use this one for your cruising around and when you go racing swap them over. Reasonably easy job except the 9" centre is so damn heavy.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline