BTR 4 speed issues ony 1st and 2nd - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 02:56   #1 (permalink)

BTR 4 speed issues ony 1st and 2nd

hi all, stumbled across this forum via famous search engine,

I purchased this car as a project with the gearbox fault present at purchase, i gave a 1/3 of it's value for it so happy to play / experiment

I have here in the UK a Ssangyong Rexton it has a 3.2 merc petrol engine with a BTR 4 speed gearbox then on to a transfer box to run the 4x4 system, I believe that many fords use the BTR Australian gearbox any advice is greatly apriciated

my car, will engage R and D fine, in D the car pulls off in 1st and change's to 2nd no issues it won't go any further than that

related or not I'm not sure... the digital clock built in to the dash doesn't work however after driving 10 miles or so the clock did come on and work fine, after a few more stop starts moving around the drive way the clock stopped working again

I've had the car in at a local gearbox center, they checked the oil for me all is good they also said the box is mechanically fine

if I drive hard I can feel the car trying to get into 3rd gear I think but doesn't engage correctly

through reading here I'm going to try a handful of thing's, any other suggestion's on top will be followed up on

1 : although the car starts and drive's fine I will fully charge the battery, maybe even find a replacement

2 : pull the transmission fuse from the car, this should throw the car into limp mode stuck in 3rd gear (this will show me the solenoid isn't jammed open)

3 : find the wires from the tcm to manually feed 12v down them check all 4 gears if manual feed to gearbox get's all gears working correctly the TCM I guess would be faulty

4 : if 1-3 don't tell me anything blow the car up !

sadly i didn't do all my research before buying the car, after 2004 all rexton's have Mercedes engine and gearbox - lot less hassle early rexton's have the BTR gearbox, the car has only done 70,000 miles so should be good for a few more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rexton.jpg (107.3 KB, 0 views)
lukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 04:04   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: BTR 4 speed issues ony 1st and 2nd

It a bit hard without knowing any fault codes and I don't know how you would do that on a Ssangyong Rexton . Do you know that transmission model or at least the car's year of manufacture? In any event it may be worth changing the coolant temp sensor as it won't change above 2nd if the coolant temperature is less than 45 degrees and a faulty coolant sensor will indicate a lower temp.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:19   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Tried here: Ssangyong Owners Club particularly http://ssangyongclub.co.uk/download/
Old 10-24-2013, 13:25   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiblue View Post
It a bit hard without knowing any fault codes and I don't know how you would do that on a Ssangyong Rexton . Do you know that transmission model or at least the car's year of manufacture? In any event it may be worth changing the coolant temp sensor as it won't change above 2nd if the coolant temperature is less than 45 degrees and a faulty coolant sensor will indicate a lower temp.

this is interesting, the temp gauge on the dash goes happily upto 90 degrees C but if it's a 3 wire (temp to dash, temp to g/b and neg) then that could be a possibility
Old 10-24-2013, 13:30   #5 (permalink)

so charged to battery today, checked all the fuse's, only found 1 blown (the front acc socket) got the clock working fine doddgy connection I think, when going through the fuse's I didn't find any obvious gear box fues's, will have to look at the manual, taking a guess I feel that (and I maybe wrong) S2 is stuck open could this be a possibility ?

will get under the car tomorrow want to try and disconnect the wire to the S1 and S2 to see if the car will go into limp mode (3rd gear)

I have found 1 scan-100 diag tool currently for sale for £2050 inc delivery ! I only paid £1000 for the car if it was clean and working fine it would be worth £2,500 tops
Old 10-24-2013, 17:08   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Quote:
this is interesting, the temp gauge on the dash goes happily upto 90 degrees C but if it's a 3 wire (temp to dash, temp to g/b and neg) then that could be a possibility
lukie is offline Report Post
Based on the ford setup check for two separate temperature sensors in the thermostat housing - one for the gauge (standard old fashioned looking) and one for the ECU/ TCM (bigger and fatter).
Old 10-24-2013, 17:14   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

This would be too expensive then:

SSANGYONG Rexton DAEWOO Musso Korando NEW BTRA GEARBOX *BRAND NEW IN CRATE* TQ95 | eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSANGYONG-...-/160801576476
Old 10-24-2013, 17:35   #8 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Quote:

And more likely one wire to ECU then two wires to TCU and gauge.
Old 10-24-2013, 17:49   #9 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Any chance other than Castrol TQ 95 has been put in the gearbox?
Old 10-24-2013, 17:56   #10 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I see from here http://ssangyongclub.co.uk/download/...ekesRexton.pdf pin 14 is the pin for extracting codes from the BTR Transmission control unit. You amy be able to extract the codes using the process here Ford Automatic Transmission
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline