Ford Forums banner

BTR tranny shift kitting, opinions, types

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  needturbo6 
#1 ·
i recently hooked up a different type of shift kit (i saw posted by EATURBO) the box in my soon to be EB Fairmont. using two 27 ohm resistors of 5 watts each and a 6 amp DPDT switch.
i may have gone overboard on the wattage of the resistors or not enough ill have to see when i im using it for a longer peroiod of time and see how warm they get.

-see diagram

http://au.msnusers.com/HaydenzStuff/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

i was telling my mate who owns a tranny shop and he asked if it makes a "bang" when the selector is put into drive or revese from standing, which it doesnt,
apperently this is what happens when the s5 is adjusted up, and puts stress on internal parts - some pistons i think he said, he has seen ones that have been cracked.

the way my mate explained other things, i used it again and it does feel more like a "proper" shift kit ( eg. more like valvebody equipped shift kitted trannsmissions)

Does this bang happen when using the other type of shift kit?? where less current is sent to the s5?? -
the two resistors connected to s5 and one in the middle of each connecting to another pin to fool the computer so it thinks everthing is OK (correct me if this is wrong i couldnt be bothered looking up the schematic again...)

ive driven around in shift kit mode a couple of times and it chirps quite easily into second (kicks out nice aswell...). the shifts are definitly quicker and firmer. the only thing is, is i can feel a bit of driveline shock but i think this is due to the spider gears being a bit loose.....

once it gets an LSD i will see if the problem goes away

do any of yous have any experience using shift kits of all types in the BTR 4 speed?

See less See more
#2 ·
I used a 20ohm and a 2.2ohm and the shifts are quite firm.. i dont use it all the time unless Im racing or having a quick fang as it can be quite annoying...doesnt do good to the diff especially at light throttle openings or turning a corner.

#3 ·
XR8GN3 said:
I used a 20ohm and a 2.2ohm and the shifts are quite firm.. i dont use it all the time unless Im racing or having a quick fang as it can be quite annoying...doesnt do good to the diff especially at light throttle openings or turning a corner.
which one are you talking about? the one connecting to the s5?

#4 ·
needturbo6 said:
using two 27 ohm resistors of 5 watts each and a 6 amp DPDT switch.
i may have gone overboard on the wattage of the resistors or not enough ill have to see when i im using it for a longer peroiod of time and see how warm they get.

-see diagram

http://au.msnusers.com/HaydenzStuff/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

i forgot to put the pins 35 and 55, connect to the s3 and s4 solenoids.
one of them is the shift quality control but thats all...

#6 ·
needturbo6 said:
i recently hooked up a different type of shift kit (i saw posted by EATURBO) the box in my soon to be EB Fairmont
it wasnt EATURBO it was posted by EA Turbo Clone, sorry EATURBO for wrong reference.

deankdx said:
is this mod just to external wiring or do yo need to drop the sump?
nah u dont need to drop the sump at all, just hook it up off the ecu connector harness.

u dont have to connect it thru a switch either, but handy if you find the driveline isnt up to it or dont want the constant quick/firm shifts

heres the link where i got it from - its about 5 posts down.
i should have included the link in my 1st post.

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=58969&page=2&pp=25

also if u click on the link in my first post and press "next" u will see some handy tech info for the ecu connecter and testing procedures.

#7 ·
needturbo6 said:
which one are you talking about? the one connecting to the s5?

Yes the S5 solenoid....

This modification goes onto the Transmission Control Module loom not on the ECU.

#8 ·
XR8GN3 said:
Yes the S5 solenoid....

This modification goes onto the Transmission Control Module loom not on the ECU.
i assume you have either an EA or v8 model

whats it like when u first engage drive or reverse from standing?

#10 ·
needturbo6 said:
i assume you have either an EA or v8 model

whats it like when u first engage drive or reverse from standing?

Read my signature.

It feels fine but its not something you would have on all the time, the shifts are very firm and if you have a crook diff like mine you will hear a lot of clonking noises going on.

So if you going to do this mod I suggest installing the switch to turn it off or on. This is shown in the documentation 9psi EB wrote up.

Goto www.mechanicalforums.com

#11 ·
Walkinshaw said:
whats low speed cruising shifts like?

low speed shifts are pretty ordanairy on mine, can feel a bit of drivleline "shock" which i think is because the spider gears have a bit of play, but when at higher revs i dont get it as it either does a chirpie or shifts firmly into the next gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.