Ford Forums banner

C4=c10

7K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  ZK 351 
G
#1 ·
So let me get this straight, a C10 is the name for a later Pan fill C4?? with bellhousing that bolts to the case and not the pump like some earlier ones?

so are they are all just bloody c4's? just wanted to clarify,
everyone is all C4 this and C10 that when they are the same box, just different revision..?? is that right?
Cheers

#3 ·
Rhett said:
I think you hit the nail on the head.

When I browse thru a catalog of you-beaut accessories for this tranny, they only list the C4 (with variations). No hint of the elusive and mystic C5/C6/C9/C10/C-U-L8R.
Actually the C6 is a different auto all together from the C4 and its derivitives, its a bigger and more heavy duty box.

#5 ·
I must find those bloody worshop updates for this and solve this once and for all. The C4 is the early version of the C10 yes but thats all. The C10 has bigger bands and clutchs as well as differante front pump housing. It is stronger than the C4 because of it. Its like saying a turbo 350 is the same as a turbo 400. They are two completly differant box's. Dont you wonder why when you order parts for the C4/C10 they ask
you for the year or date of manufacturer, thats because of the two differant case's ring your local auto work shop and ask them and see what they tell you.

#6 ·
Rhett said:
I think you hit the nail on the head.

When I browse thru a catalog of you-beaut accessories for this tranny, they only list the C4 (with variations). No hint of the elusive and mystic C5/C6/C9/C10/C-U-L8R.
Spot on, there are 3 versions of the C4 (windsor, 6cyl and cleveland), all have significant differences, but ALL are recorded by Ford as C4's, you just need to know what vehicle it came out of to know which one it is, or what the part number is on the box!
I have NEVER seen any official Ford document that mentions C9 or C10, only C4.
I have only ever seen C9/C10 in aftermarket books and publications, i believe the notation C9/10 was made up by tranny joints for easy reference however in Ford speak they are all C4's :hy:

#9 ·
ZK 351 said:
good, all clear now, i shall continue to call my box a pan fill C4, none of this C9-C10 crap!!
You should check that little alloy tag (I think it should be under one of the extension housing bolts) - if it says C10 then it IS a C10...

#14 ·
CLEVELAND JUNKY said:
Thanks mate, saved me some future headaches. From what i've read i guess it's a "C10" . The Trans is from a factory 351 ZK fairlane, the dipstick tube is yellow in color(if that means something to someone).
Be careful also with those panfill dipsticks as i have come across 2 different length tubes and sticks in them also.

That would be a C10,whoops i mean C4 pan fill. Being in a ZK just to confuse the issue some more it could be a C5. The way to tell is to look at the threads for the front band adjustment on the side by the shift linkage.If that thread is finer than the rear band adjuster it's a c5.These have a few improvements over a c4.. You could also look at the casting code just above the shift linkage.If it starts with E2 it's a c5.

#15 ·
gregaust said:
Be careful also with those panfill dipsticks as i have come across 2 different length tubes and sticks in them also.

That would be a C10,whoops i mean C4 pan fill. Being in a ZK just to confuse the issue some more it could be a C5. The way to tell is to look at the threads for the front band adjustment on the side by the shift linkage.If that thread is finer than the rear band adjuster it's a c5.These have a few improvements over a c4.. You could also look at the casting code just above the shift linkage.If it starts with E2 it's a c5.
Your right it's a C5, i just went out to the shed and looked at the case number : E2TP 7006 AA:BW:. It also has a silver tag that reads :
PEF J13 M 8B
EOFP LA
You were right about the different size threads, fine on the shift linkage side, coarse on the other side.
Anyone know the part number for a C5 dipstick?:muha:

#16 ·
gregaust said:
Firstly, I LOOOOVVVVE C4/C9/C10 threads.....! Nothing like a good laugh.

Secondly, the above comment on the fine/coarse thread is meant to be a C10 indicator (from what I have been told).

Thirdly, how does this sound....?

1. Windsor C4
2. 6 Cyl C4
3. Clevo C4 (early)
4. Clevo C4 (late)

what's the difference between 3 and 4 you ask..?? Simple, one has a screw in modulator, and one has a push in. Now, if people reading this are asking themselves "what is a modulator?", then don't bother posting your opinions on how to tell a C9 from a C10 (or whatever model you may care to think up next).

Fouthly, my 'nets been out for 9 days, so I am a little pi$$ed, and am venting....!

#17 ·
RPO-083 said:
Firstly, I LOOOOVVVVE C4/C9/C10 threads.....! Nothing like a good laugh.

Secondly, the above comment on the fine/coarse thread is meant to be a C10 indicator (from what I have been told).

Thirdly, how does this sound....?

1. Windsor C4
2. 6 Cyl C4
3. Clevo C4 (early)
4. Clevo C4 (late)

what's the difference between 3 and 4 you ask..?? Simple, one has a screw in modulator, and one has a push in. Now, if people reading this are asking themselves "what is a modulator?", then don't bother posting your opinions on how to tell a C9 from a C10 (or whatever model you may care to think up next).

Fouthly, my 'nets been out for 9 days, so I am a little pi$$ed, and am venting....!
So do i have a C10 or what? yes or no? The "from what i have been told" disclaimer doesn't fill me with confidence. Looks like the only way im going to know for sure, one way or the other, is to visit the local trans shop:hy:.

#18 ·
CLEVELAND JUNKY said:
So do i have a C10 or what? yes or no? The "from what i have been told" disclaimer doesn't fill me with confidence. Looks like the only way im going to know for sure, one way or the other, is to visit the local trans shop:hy:.
Hmmm, I suppose I didn't make total sense with that. What I was saying was, the thread pitch has been used as an indicator for a C10 AND a C5, both can't be right..... (actually, both are wrong)

You have type number 4. A Late clevo C4.

#19 ·
i dont have your troubles, i got a C10 in my XE thats what the tranny mob said it is, when the put the hd clutches and the stg 2 kit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.