C4 cooler - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 21:39   #1 (permalink)

C4 cooler

Hi there,

I've got an XF pano with a C4 amonst other trick bits. The tranny oil cooler has sprung a leak because the bonnet catch release was rubbing against it and I was too slow to pick it up.

Its an alloy job so it would be difficult to repair reliably. It's size is 11"x8"x2" which sounds very similiar to the B&M Supercooler.
(70266* SuperCooler 28,000 GVW 11"x8"x1-1/2" (1/2"NPT female fittings) )

However I don't particularly wish to part with $200 bucks if I can avoid it as I only paid $1500 for the vehicle! So any ideas on low cost alternatives would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Muffin.
muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 21:50   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: C4 cooler

Those coolers aren't anywhere near $200 now. I pad $165ea for both of mine at different times (over a period of 4 years). I have since been told http://www.vpwmailorder.com do them for $95. Thanks to the aussie doller increasing in value

I wouldn't bother trying to repair it. What risk a total failure for the sake of $100.

Brenden
Old 09-14-2004, 00:22   #3 (permalink)

Wow that was quick, thanks brenx.

That's a great website too, I've just ordered a B&M Supercooler, should be here on Thursday.

BTW, I'm suffering a typical Ford 6 problem of the starter not engaging the ring gear and making that god awful whiiirrrpp noise. I'm told it's caused by the 6's tendency to stop in the same position all the time so the ring gear gets worn out in that one area. It's getting worse so so I'd better do something about it. Can the ring gear simply be roated in relation to the crank or should it be replaced with the flexplate?

Thanks again,

Muffin.
Old 09-14-2004, 18:56   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Cheaper and easier to buy a new flexplate. You can buy them new. Best to sort out your starter issues first though. My starter does the same. When I remove the engine I had two engines side by side and one starter (the one I'm using) was filled with water. It's never been right since.

Brenden
Old 09-16-2004, 05:45   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Brenden, yeah I think I'll pull the starter and get it serviced.... and I'll have a look at the ring gear while its out..... I think maybe the flex plate is broken to..... getting some clattering noise at lower revs and speeds, and I'm pretty sure it aint the valvetrain.

Cheers,

Muff.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:51   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

No drama's glad I could help.

Brenden
Old 09-16-2004, 21:45   #7 (permalink)

B&M Supercooler arrived today... exact replacement for 148$ including insurance, postage and handling... so pretty happy with that, thanks for the tip Brenden.

I reckon the tranny overheated earlier this week... (i had one longish trip of 45 mins with the cooler bypassed) and there was oil leaking from the mouth of the dipstick when i stopped!

The oil is a chocolate brown colour rather than the red i'm used to... should I drain and replace it.... it was replaced when i had the tranny serviced about 6mths ago.... prolly got about 15000 k's on it, all light duty no towing. The colour just dont look right to me!! IS the outgoing hose from the tranny an ideal place to drain from? It's sooooo easy just to fire it up and let it spurt into a container.... or will I miss some?

Thanks again,

Muff.
Old 09-17-2004, 00:15   #8 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Whatever you do..... do NOT attempt to drain an engine or tranny by running it dry. You will be towing it to a transmission rebuilders the next day.

It sounds like your trans is in desperate need of a service, hopefully not a rebuild as well.
Old 09-17-2004, 00:18   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Drain the oil yourself. It aint hard. Just drop the pan off and let the oil run out. Clean the pan and surrounds. I did mine today, it took me about 20 mins tops.

Brenden
Old 09-17-2004, 06:07   #10 (permalink)

Thanks again Brenden, I've dropped the pan and drained it, gave it all a good clean up and put it all back together, refilled with new fluid and she's good as gold!

I repositioned the cooler so its a loooong way from the bonnet catch now. I changed the orientation too so it fills at the bottom and drains from the top, hopefully eliminating any air pockets from forming. I always suspected the old setup was half full of air because both the hoses fed in from the bottom. I think I'll rest alot easier now.

Unfortunately all this crawling around underneath has revealed that the engine oil leaks are getting worse........ ahh the fun never ends does it!!!!

Thanks again for all your help guys.... what a great forum!

Cheers,

Muffin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline