C4 oil leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 18:13   #1 (permalink)
66 Mustang 351C

C4 oil leak

Been trying to help my dad with a trans oil leak he has had all summer long. C4 in a 66 Mustang.

Tranny will drop a qt or so of oil but.... only after sitting more than 24 hrs on a level surface. It doesn't seem to blow or leak fluid while running and it sat 4 days on a slight uphill incline in my driveway without leaking a drop.

I have been unable to find the source of the leak. I replaced the tailshaft seal as I did see signs of oil at the snout but according to dad... it still leaks.

Pan gskt seems fine, no signs of fluid in modulator. I haven't seen the leak first hand so I don't even know the general area of where it is coming from.

Any ideas??

Dave
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2006, 15:21   #2 (permalink)
wasnt me

Re: C4 oil leak

front seal probably, wont leak when sitting/not running but while running it will leak and come out the bellhousing.
Old 11-16-2006, 16:26   #3 (permalink)

Hello Clevelandrocks.
I have the same problem, if i take my pickup for a ride and park it for 2 or 4 hours there will not even be a drop under it. But when i park it in the garage over night, a shot glass will be under it "right below the filler tube". Just today i changed the filler tube o ring. Oh yea I know it is not the trans breather cause its on the other side and the tube is aimed where it would drop strait on the floor. I can do without leaks, but its un-ending drudgery keeping up with them. I will let you know how the o ring went. Oh yea, my filler tube was all cockeyed, yet another automotive Atrocitie that someone else eyeball engineered.

Hope all is well with you

GWC
GeDoubleYouSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 17:07   #4 (permalink)
66 Mustang 351C

Thanks GWC,

I appreciate the feedback. His car is in storage now and the leak has not yet been identified so I will be back at it in the spring. :-)

Looking forward to hearing from you after you've seen how the dipstick tube o-ring works out.

Dave
Old 11-18-2006, 12:26   #5 (permalink)

Dave,
Good news, The O-Ring solved the mystery. There was an alignment problem with the filler tube "who ever alignmented it was blind" So i bent up the bracket a half dozen time's to get the thing in the ball park and then mounted it and bent it the rest of the way. I was amazed how much oil that thing leaked, one time i put a tray down to catch the oil and it dripped over a quart in a month and only when it sat for a long time. While it runs the level never got near the O-Ring....but while sitting all the oil drained into the pan and rose above o-ring level. I know where most of the oil was coming from, My oil cooler i think, it is mounted way above the transmission. If you notice that a stock oil cooler on the radiator is lower than the pan "so most of the oil stays in the cooler" But when you put a larger trans oil cooler and mount it on the radiator higher than the lower tub on the radiator it all drains back into the transmission and that topped off with a bad alignment on filler tube with a bad o-ring. thats my theory anyway.

Gary
GeDoubleYouSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline