C4 problem?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 16:48   #1 (permalink)

C4 problem??

I'm running a Performance Automatics SuperComp C4 behind my BBF. So far the car has only seen about 200 miles on the street, still sorting it before I hit the 1/4 mile. I've yet to give it a WOT launch, due to lack of traction with street tires, but have noticed that with about 1/2 throttle or more the 2-3 gear change will slip. The engine picks up a few revs during the gear change, and the change takes maybe 1 sec, whereas all other gear changes are firm and instant. The gearbox has a full manual rev pattern valvebody with transbrake, though I do not have the transbrake wired up yet. Is this problem a symptom of something serious, or is it just a band adjustment required?
Any advice I can get before I take it to a trans shop would be much appreciated. Thanks.
ToddZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2006, 18:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: C4 problem??

It sounds like it has too much clearance in the direct drum. At half throttle the car is making some torque and if it is pulling through direct then, at wide open it could be worse. You could try taking the spring out of the servo to kind of put a band aid on the shift feel, but I think you'll have the trans out before too much longer.
T-BoltTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:13   #3 (permalink)

i really no stuff all about this but my c4 that i just got back from fully rebuilt with full manual kit did the same and the bloke that built it put the wrong spring in ( the kit gives you 2 different springs and he put in the wrong one )
after it slipped a few times , he swapped it around but it was too late the clutches were too far gone , guess what , another rebuild , no i didnt go back to same bloke
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:04   #4 (permalink)

I'd be curious to hear what P.A tell you to do since it is all new.I'm surprised this happened with one of their transmissions
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 16:08   #5 (permalink)

Still haven't heard from PA. I'll send them another email.
Old 01-27-2006, 20:57   #6 (permalink)

Possibly too much clearance and only needs a band adjustment but don't delay. It needs fixing quickly.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 17:25   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Doesn't take long to wreck and auto. I destroyed one in 199k's. If it's not right send it back. Otherwise it may cost you more in the long run.
Old 01-29-2006, 17:50   #8 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

I will tell your problem. Performance Automatics Super Comp C4 They don't have a very good rep when it comes to performance auto's. Evey one who has had one end up telling them to shove it. Or like a friend of mine did throw it through the window. I wish you luck.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 00:56   #9 (permalink)

That is Perf.Automatics in the U.S. All i've seen their reputation is good.I've used some of their parts which are good ,not a whole transmission though
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:45   #10 (permalink)

After sending 2 emails to PA and receiving no reply, I decided to strip the trans myself, with the help of my local trans shop. Everything looked fine, the clutches looked new, there was only a little bit of friction material in the bottom of the sump. So I replaced the standard steels with kolene steels and it all went back together. Installed it with a new convertor, and all is okay so far. I haven't given it too much stick yet on the street, plan on hitting the track next Wednesday so will see how it goes then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline