C4 slipping between 1st & 2nd - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2004, 03:12   #1 (permalink)

C4 slipping between 1st & 2nd

Just wondering if anyone with more C4 transmission knowledge than me can suggest what this problem is.

C4 transmission is pretty heaviliy modified, has full manual valve body, hi-stall etc.

On hard acceleration it is now slipping alot from the 1st to 2nd change, and after this occurrs pressurises and spills trans fluid out the breather onto the exhaust.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-08-2004, 07:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: C4 slipping between 1st & 2nd

Bugger!.............unfortunately the only answer I have is toploader!

I've got a mile long list of old auto problems!! Try this one.....driving down the freeway at 100 and C4 would randomly lock up! Eeeeerrrrrrrr - auto enduced hand breaky - scares the crap out of you. Also done the overcooked James Bond white smoke screen.

Hope you find a fix. She just can't handle the stroker beast!!

Something wrong in the valvebody??
Old 05-08-2004, 21:26   #3 (permalink)

Hoping it's a small thing... Really don't know - auto science is a bit of a 'black' art!

Done the toploader thing already, but yeah, after going for a disapointing drive last night I got thinking about the simplicity of a manual again!
Old 05-09-2004, 00:18   #4 (permalink)

You could join the growing band of tremec owners - hmm, 0.68 overdrive! Then you could ditch the 3.23's and run the 4.11's!

Keep the 3.23's = overall ratio of 2.2 (in 5th) Well, that would be 198mph @ 6000 with the 265/50x14's!! Not bad for the salt flats.

Fit 4.11's = overall ratio of 2.79 (in 5th) - still better off!

4.5's almost gets you back to 3.2.

The StrokedXD would really come to life then!! Lookout Motorplex.

Have you seen that show on Channel 31 Access, called "Cruisin" - Monday nights at 9pm? They have some good shows on all sorts to local streetmachine events etc.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2004, 00:33   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

STROKEXD : Thats exactly what my old auto did before it was completely toast in Feb 2003. Part the issue was the auto was getting to warm under race conditions and long drives. It used to vent oil all the time.

The issue is keeping the oil cool enough. When it gets warm/cooks it vents. Then having minimal fluid in the box destroys the clutches.

Whats your box have in it? As mine was supposed to be a top notch box and it was found to be a stocker with a shift kit. Nothing more. If it's only got 4 clutches it's a stocker build.

I've since had it redone as you know and I blew it even quicker. Due to the build being better supposedly It no longer vents.

Problem is now your trans is probably already toast. Try running two trans coolers. I ran two 12,000lb B&M coolers and no longer have any heat issues. Slipping clutches will also cause heat, which will cause the oil to boil and vent.

Brenden
Old 05-09-2004, 00:58   #6 (permalink)

Wouldn't be a bad investment to get a trans temp gauge to monitor how things are going down there - especially on an expensive box. They're one of those items that once they're in, you kind of forget about them until something goes wrong.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:19   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Guys

The C4 re-build was top notch by one of the most respected guys here in WA. However Brenden when you say 4 clutches being standard, this rings an alarm bell 4 me as I'm pretty sure that is all its got because I remember the guy saying the only thing extra he could do that he didn't do, is put 5 clutches in. But the way he was speaking I assumed 4 clutches is already beefed over standard.

Temp is not a problem. I'm running a massive trans cooler right in front with its own thermo fan as well. The slip between 1st & 2nd happens any time, even when the car has only been running from cold for a few minutes.

Hopefully just the clutches are fried and nothing else is ****ed. Do you know if the clutches can be replaced without taking the box out? I'll take the car in soon as I get some $$.

Yeah TruBlu trans temp guage will be a nice future addition, thanks for the idea.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:24   #8 (permalink)

TruBlu my last combo with 2:77 gears, 265/50 x 14's, toploader and 6000 limit was interesting.

That did 190 in 3rd, and lala land in 4th. Had the square brick XD upto about 240 one night on Reid Highway (approx 5800 in top) for about 5k's. I got to see why a spoiler kit becomes essential in these cars. Adrenaline plus
Old 05-09-2004, 03:35   #9 (permalink)
Craving Boost

how you going guys?
i wanna make my 97 xh ute tranny a semi auto anyone help?
doink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 03:48   #10 (permalink)

Giddyup! I'm suprised the XD grill didn't snap off! - the aerodynamic forces on the "brick" would be huge! You'll have to book into the Calder Park Thunderdome.

F-18 @ 1250km/h is healthy for the adrenaline too!

Your issue is slipping ie: clutches, and not the slurring symptom between gears of an old slush box right? My old FMX would go straight from 1st to 3rd. Damn things!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline