Ford Forums banner

C4 Torque Convertor

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AUII_Forte 
#1 ·
I am currently fitting a C4 up to an EA 3.9L motor. Dellow Conversions have told me that all I need is one of their bellhousings and just redrill the EA flex plate to suit the C4 convertor. The box was originally behind a 351C in an XW.

There is absolutely no way that the EA flex plate is big enough to accomodate the C4 convertor. What I want to know is did the 6cyl C4's have a smaller convertor and does the box itself vary from 6cyl to V8? i.e will a 6cyl convertor fit a V8 box?

#2 ·
You'll find you have a 12" convertor now from a 351. A windsor or 6 cyl c4 convertor is smaller 11" and is what you need . All the c4 internals from 1970 onwards are the same.
The 6 cyl convertor will fit up no probs as long as they both have a 26 spline input shaft..in comparison the early(before 70) c4's had a smaller 24 spline input.

#3 ·
Thanks heaps for the info mate!

#5 ·
Yeah I plan on getting a high stall, probably about 3000rpm, but just want to make sure I get the right one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.