C6 Transmission - Intermediate Brake Band - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 07:43   #1 (permalink)

C6 Transmission - Intermediate Brake Band

Let me first start off by saying I do not normally work on transmissions! For a friend, I said I would address some problems on his 95 E150 van. It hasn't been shifting correctly and he was having to put it in neutral to start it. I found you actually couldn't get it fully into park! I feel it's probably toast also....

I pulled the vacuum modulator valve and replaced it with a new one. I noticed someone had adjusted it all the way out! When driving the van, it won't shift until you take your foot all the way off the gas. I figured I would hook up a vacuum gauge to see if it is even getting any vacuum to it, but I decide to check why it wouldn't go into park first. I disconnected the linkage figuring it was hanging up somewhere, but couldn't even shift it manually on the tranny. I removed the pan and found the "intermediate brake band strut anchor had come loose and lodged itself in the internal linkage. I figured out how all of it went back together and it looks like the stud that adjusts this had just worked its way loose. Anyway, First, I am wondering what this "Intermediate Brake Band" does, and how to make sure I have it properly adjusted before putting the pan back on.

Thanks for any explanations and help!
mkrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 11:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: C6 Transmission - Intermediate Brake Band

I did find some additional information pertaining to this on the internet. I found where it should be torqued to 120 inch/lbs and then backed off 1 1/2 turns. Hopefully this can help someone in the future.
Old 04-14-2009, 13:13   #3 (permalink)

Re: C6 Transmission - Intermediate Brake Band

I'm amazed. I adjusted it as mentioned above, put the pan on and filled with fluid and it actually shifts like it should. I'm amazed the trannsmission wasn't ruined with the band totally useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline