cable adjustment c4/hurst - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 02:06   #1 (permalink)

cable adjustment c4/hurst

i am having some trouble , i recently changed my shift cable on my c4 , am running hurst shifter , when i try to lower into 1st when stopped have to really slapp it down few times before it will go in then when i shift up to 2nd have to hit it twice , the cable is adjusted correctly i think, anyone got any suggestions , i am not sure weather the fault is within the cable or the shifter/pins or somethin
borgiewindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 02:39   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: cable adjustment c4/hurst

Make sure the cables not buckling over itself at any point. Also when you set the cable up adjust it when its in "D" not "1" or "park".

Honestly sounds like a stretched or incorrectly adjusted cable. Could also be a sloppy shifter but I doubt it.

Brenden
Old 11-08-2004, 02:46   #3 (permalink)

hmm ok i set mine up in park so that might be my problem , thanks will try that , the cable is new and is sitting right , but will set it up in "D" , it was fine before i changed the cable , i made an error with the old one , changed speedo cable and forgot to clip them back up and the shifter cable was sitting on the exhaust dumm ass i am lol
Old 11-08-2004, 02:56   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I had the same issue with the cable for a B&M megashifter. I went back to stock it annoyed me so much.

Brenden
Old 11-09-2004, 02:03   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I had the same issue with the cable for a B&M megashifter. I went back to stock it annoyed me so much.

Brenden
what went back to the stock shifter
Old 11-09-2004, 02:08   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Yup the shitty cables drove me up the wall. Don't know why they can't just make a rachet shifter linkage operated? I guess they wouldn't make $ from parts that wear out then.

Brenden
Old 11-09-2004, 02:13   #7 (permalink)

will give it a go with adjusting it in "D" , so just the standard auto shifter then hey , i never fitted the hurst so i dont know how much mucking around will have to do , my falcon was originally a colum auto it think ,
Old 11-09-2004, 02:22   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I found it a fair amount of work to fit an aftermarket shifter. You have to remove the auto hump in the floor it you run t-bar auto. Then plate over the top. It took me about 2->3 hours to fit the B&M. The main issue was the hole for the cable. I had trouble getting it in the right location and on the right angle.

Brenden
Old 11-09-2004, 02:26   #9 (permalink)

mine already has a plate of some sort welded to the tunnel , man i might just sort the hurst out.
Old 11-09-2004, 19:19   #10 (permalink)

I wrote this for another thread a while back, its the "proper" method for adjusting shifter cables:

Yeah its really important to get it right or you can burn out the clutches in no time.

Set everything up but at this stage don't connect the cable to the pin on the gear selector on the side of the box.

Manually click the box into 3rd gear (count the clicks) and also put the shifter into 3rd gear.

Get back under the car and rotate the adjuster so the cable eyelette slides easily onto the pin on the gear selector on side of gearbox.

Now put the shifter into 2nd gear and get back under the car and slide the eyelette off the pin and make sure it slides off easliy. Hopefully you won't have to adjust it another turn, but adjust it if it needs it.

Keep checking all the selector positions this way, 1st, N, P and then back to 3rd gear again until you get the best position on the adjuster so that the box selector isn't being nudged by the selector out of position.

You will probably find that it won't match up right in every gear, but make sure 3rd gear is given the priority as the car spends most of its time in this gear. It is usual for Park to not match up precisely.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline