Can disconnecting the battery cause my auto to go into limp mode? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2003, 21:33   #1 (permalink)
1998 Tickford AU Fairmont

Can disconnecting the battery cause my auto to go into limp mode?

i have heard that if you disconnect the battery you should reset the trans computer when reconnected to ensure it all runs correctly. Is this true, and will disconnecting the battery make the trans play up and go into limp mode (as it has been).

If so, how do you reset the trans computer. I have an EA 30th Aniversarry model falcon with the 4 speed auto.

Any help appreciated. Cheers.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2003, 06:47   #2 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Re: Can disconnecting the battery cause my auto to go into limp mode?

I don;t know about this one, i think it's just a myth.

I have heard people saying something about, with car in D, turned on but not running, holding the throttle flat for 1 minute, or something like that. No-one has actually explained it properly.

Make sure the trans computer is plugged in properly, as it sometimes can be easy to kick the plug out.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 02:57   #3 (permalink)

Trans

Normally disconnecting the battery doesn't cause any problems with the trans going into limp mode, but if your throttle position sensor isn't positioned correctly, than the computer will have trouble working and go into limp mode, there is a correct sequence to follow to get the throttle position learnt it goes like this.

turn igition on with engine off.
gear lever in manual 1 mode switch economy
gear lever in manual 2 mode switch power
gear lever in manual 3 mode switch economy.

The power light should start flashing in the dash until it learns the closed throttle position.

The throttle position sensor should read 0.8Volts at closed throttle, if it reads below this without doing the above than the trans will go into limp mode. It is better if you fix the throttle position sensor just be undoing the screw and moving the sensor around until you get the desired voltage, you measure the voltage off the green (+) and black (-) wires. Hope this helps.
EA Turbo Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline