To change-or not to change - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 21:31   #1 (permalink)

To change-or not to change

'allo friends
I could really use some sage advice from all you experienced Ford wrenches. I have recently become the proud fourth owner of a 1977 Mercury Marquis. The former owner held her as a garage queen, and thought it was enough to start her twice a year a pull her out annually for a new coat of wax. All the fluids need renewed as he said he didn't dive it so he never changed them. So to get to my question...the odometer is showing just over 55,000 miles which is supposed to be original (but who knows, in PA. the reading is exempt for vehicles over a certain age) I am sure the ATF has never been changed, would fellow forum members recommend doing so? The fluid when checked is no longer red in color (more brown and oily) and on the dipstick has been way overfilled. My older friend at work has warned me that if I get the fluid changed the higher pressure will dislodge sediment and gunk that has accumulated over the years and I will be replacing the transmission within a month. I have heard this before and even from trans. shops, and it has scared me out of doing it. I don't know who to believe, any imput you folks could provide would be appreciated.

P.S. The trans. is I think a C-6 and uses type "F" fluid. One of the former owners had a trailer hitch on it and it currently shifts fine.

THANKS !
Darr
LTD luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2011, 22:22   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: To change-or not to change

1977? That was back when Detroit still built vehicles.

If it were mine, I'd change it. I don't see how it would hurt a thing on a C4 or C6. Just be sure you go back with Type-F and not the universal stuff.

Lets see what others have to say about it.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:31   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I second that.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:39   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

I third that .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline