changing from 3sp 2 4spd - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2002, 18:20   #1 (permalink)
menace

changing from 3sp 2 4spd

I have a 89 ea falcon and i want 2 change it 2 a 4 spd how hard is it ? I have all the parts. Can anyone help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2002, 15:25   #2 (permalink)

I've never done this before so I don't know how difficult it would be. Pulling out the 3 speed and replacing with the 4 speed will probably be the easy bit. I'd be more concerned with all the additional wiring that comes with the 4 speed.

The 4 speed has its own ecu that is located under the dash.I think that you will need to get an engine management system out of a series2 4 speed ea aswell because the trannsmissions ecu feeds off the engines ecu.

It might pay to look through some wiring diagrams first. If you are taking the 4 speed out of a wreck then it might be easier if you do this your self and learn as you go because the installation is usually a lot harder when someone else rips it out for ya.

You will also need a series2 ea or eb tailshaft.

This is about as much as I know.
Old 05-24-2002, 18:01   #3 (permalink)
-

im pretty sure the early EA 4 speeds have the transmission as a seperate entity from the ECU. the transmisison has its own TPS, ECU and wiring... just seeing if the looms would all match up would be the hard part... powering the 4spd ECU etc.

also, i think the 4spd has a different mount or something? or tailshaft? thats the part i dont know about!
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline