Changing Diff oil on AU IRS Models - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2004, 01:47   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator
 
XR_Strider_GuY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 3Fb Skunk Works(JXR01 Dev)
Age: 34
Posts: 6,542
Changing Diff oil on AU IRS Models

Hi All,

Just wondering has anyone replaced the diff oil themselves in an AU with IRS. Reason for asking is that the filler bolt seems to be blocked behind something unlike the live axle model. If so, how did you get around it.

Gary.
__________________
Motor May 2001 Quote: "Believe it or not, there are actually a bunch of weirdos out there who reckon a six cylinder is the dux gutz. Bugger it: I'm one of them" :s5

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-19-2004, 14:17   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: queensland
Posts: 1,134
Re: Changing Diff oil on AU IRS Models

Oil drains out the bottom bolt as normal. The filler can be got at with a socket and a 6" extension.
__________________
If you're not driving a manual you're really just steering.
WBT56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 21:27   #3 (permalink)
012
AUTS50 #012
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Melbourne
Age: 15
Posts: 1,001
Re: Changing Diff oil on AU IRS Models

WBT56, what oil and additive do you recommend for these diffs? Also, do you know what oil/additive Ford use to "fix" the clunk noise with the AU IRS diffs?
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:53   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator
 
XR_Strider_GuY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 3Fb Skunk Works(JXR01 Dev)
Age: 34
Posts: 6,542
Re: Changing Diff oil on AU IRS Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT56
Oil drains out the bottom bolt as normal. The filler can be got at with a socket and a 6" extension.
Thanks for that mate, will look into it soon as i bet teh diff oil hasn't been changed since the car was new.

AUGZMK,
That clunking is from the crown wheel and pinion being out of tollerance. Both our XR's have that clunk noise on backoff - backon throttle. I think the additives on LSD's eliminates the chatter of the LSD mechanism.
__________________
Motor May 2001 Quote: "Believe it or not, there are actually a bunch of weirdos out there who reckon a six cylinder is the dux gutz. Bugger it: I'm one of them" :s5

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
012
AUTS50 #012
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Melbourne
Age: 15
Posts: 1,001
Re: Changing Diff oil on AU IRS Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
AUGZMK, That clunking is from the crown wheel and pinion being out of tollerance. Both our XR's have that clunk noise on backoff - backon throttle. I think the additives on LSD's eliminates the chatter of the LSD mechanism.
Yeah, I know what the cause of the noise is, I had my diff in my AUXR8 rebuilt at my own cost after Ford refused to acknowledge it was a problem. I was asking as a mate is going through this same issue with Ford and wanted to know what Ford used to "stop?" the noise. The diff in my TS50 is ok, but I'm also interested just in case, for future reference.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 13:50   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: queensland
Posts: 1,134
Re: Changing Diff oil on AU IRS Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
WBT56, what oil and additive do you recommend for these diffs? Also, do you know what oil/additive Ford use to "fix" the clunk noise with the AU IRS diffs?
We use Shell LS 90, no additives. BW LSD do not operate at all well on synthetic oil. The "factory" recommended spec has recently changed to Mobil SHC85/140 Synthetic, I believe, plus an additive. Ben.
__________________
If you're not driving a manual you're really just steering.
WBT56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 15:38   #7 (permalink)
012
AUTS50 #012
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Melbourne
Age: 15
Posts: 1,001
Re: Changing Diff oil on AU IRS Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT56
We use Shell LS 90, no additives. BW LSD do not operate at all well on synthetic oil. The "factory" recommended spec has recently changed to Mobil SHC85/140 Synthetic, I believe, plus an additive. Ben.
Thanks Ben. You wouldn't happen to know what the additive is would you? I'll look into the Shell LS 90, Cheers.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 20:41   #8 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V
 
johnydep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: On the coast
Posts: 562
Re: Changing Diff oil on AU IRS Models

80W140 LS4 with 100ml friction modifier additive Sturco 7098.
Diff manufacturer & Ford only recommends the use of Mobil SHC ID or Castrol SAF-XA.

I have had no problems with FUCHS 75W140 (full synthetic) and using Ford MOTORSPORT Friction Modifier M-19546-A.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VZ HSV pics & info FPRXR-6 The Pub 79 10-10-2004 15:04
Oil changes between services... SteevO Australian Falcons 23 09-20-2004 02:37
9" diff > AU EvilChief Trans | Driveline 12 05-19-2004 01:03
AU Models Jesmol The Pub 3 02-13-2002 22:37
AU II diff problems barney Trans | Driveline 13 06-01-2001 08:30

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:05.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.