Changing diff seals on a 9 inch - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 13:44   #1 (permalink)

Changing diff seals on a 9 inch

I took off my wheels last night to check how much meat I had left on the brake pads and discovered that the pads were covered in diff oil. I'm assuming that the seals in the diff are gone so my question is does anyone know how hard it is to change the diff seals on a 9 inch, exatcly what's involved and can it be done at home or are there special tools that are required?
Electric Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2004, 14:52   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Changing diff seals on a 9 inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue
I took off my wheels last night to check how much meat I had left on the brake pads and discovered that the pads were covered in diff oil. I'm assuming that the seals in the diff are gone so my question is does anyone know how hard it is to change the diff seals on a 9 inch, exatcly what's involved and can it be done at home or are there special tools that are required?
Pry them out with a chisel/large screw driver. Gently tap them back in with a same sized socket or something the same diameter. That way you don't damage the seal.

Lightly lubricate the outer of the seal to assist with instalation. Make sure you grease the inside of the seal. If you don't? You'll be replacing the seal again shortly and it'll possibly mark the axle as it'd be running on a dry surface.

Brenden
Old 04-01-2004, 00:35   #3 (permalink)

Re: Changing diff seals on a 9 inch

They are easy to fit, but allways seem to leak after six months or a year. We sell these seals, and they sell regularly. I have had customers buys ours and other brands and genuine, but sometimes cant fix the problem. Try and put some sort of loctite sealant on the outside of seal before fitting. Sometimes the housings have small marks from poeple taking out the seals, and this will fix that. You can imagine a big screwdriver, then drive it throuh seal, the lever out. May leave a small mark for oil to escape.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline