Clutch/Diff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2003, 15:05   #1 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Clutch/Diff

Hey guys,

It's been a week now since the 5spd conversion and all is still good :)

Just a couple of things though. Firstly, when I did the conversion I put a near new (less than a week old) Daiken clutch in, but the cable has to be screwed right out to it's limits to stop the clutch slipping. Even if I leave my foot sitting lightly on the clutch and step on the go pedal a bit it can slip. It's also really annoying having the clutch pedal sitting about an inch higher than the brake pedal. I just can seem to figure out why. The clutch and the cable are pretty much brand new!

Secondly, that clunk I posted about earlier is deffinately the diff. I took the tailshaft out yesterday to change the extension housing seal in the box as it was a bit leaky. While it was out I could rotate the diff flange about 5-6mm. It makes no other noises except the clunk when changing gears and stuff. Is this normal?? My EA 3.23 LSD was a lot older and copped more of a floggin than this one has, it never clunked but it did have a bit of a whine. Is this because it's a single spinner or something?

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2003, 16:04   #2 (permalink)
cArSiK

Re: Clutch/Diff

cant really help with your problem , but it does just sound like an adjustment , when my pedal was that high above the brake the clutch did slip at times so i just adjusted the nut down alittle...

How do find the daiken clutch? is it light , nice feel? Im asking because mine is going in soon...

cheers
james
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 16:48   #3 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Yeah I think the Daiken is a great clutch. Sticks like nothin else (when it does stick in mine!) but still retains a fairly light pedal.

Problem is, if I back the nut off at all it'll slip all the time, but with my foot on the clutch, it doesn't release it far enough to engage gears. It's like the the clutch is worn out, but it's deffinately not. Looking at the clutch fork yesterday, even when the clutch is fully released, the fork still has a fair bit of pressure applied to the clutch. I tried different cable routes etc, but nothing seemed to help.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

Old 11-10-2003, 01:19   #4 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

I've just had another look underneath my car, but I've got no idea why the clutch is doing what it's doing. It just seems like there is someone slightly pressing the clutch. I really have no idea what's goin on. Any ideas??

Old 11-10-2003, 03:06   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Maybe you'd get a few more replies in the Trans forum?
Old 11-10-2003, 03:09   #6 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Damn it! I forgot all about that! lol

Can the appropriate person please move this thread? Saves making a new one on the same topic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline