Clutch/Diff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 22:44   #1 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Clutch/Diff

Hey guys,

It's been a week now since the 5spd conversion and all is still good :)

Just a couple of things though. Firstly, when I did the conversion I put a near new (less than a week old) Daiken clutch in, but the cable has to be screwed right out to it's limits to stop the clutch slipping. Even if I leave my foot sitting lightly on the clutch and step on the go pedal a bit it can slip. It's also really annoying having the clutch pedal sitting about an inch higher than the brake pedal. I just can seem to figure out why. The clutch and the cable are pretty much brand new!

Secondly, that clunk I posted about earlier is deffinately the diff. I took the tailshaft out yesterday to change the extension housing seal in the box as it was a bit leaky. While it was out I could rotate the diff flange about 5-6mm. It makes no other noises except the clunk when changing gears and stuff. Is this normal?? My EA 3.23 LSD was a lot older and copped more of a floggin than this one has, it never clunked but it did have a bit of a whine. Is this because it's a single spinner or something?

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 23:43   #2 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Re: Clutch/Diff

Adjust the clutch cable so that the clutch pedal is sitting inline with the brake pedal, If the clutch pedal is too high, the adjustment is too tight, so back it off a bit (this means the adjusting nut has to be brought back on the cable, so that more thread goes into the firewall)
Old 11-11-2003, 01:37   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

yeah - you have it the wrong way around - if you loosen the cable it makes the pedal lower and less likely for the clutch to slip.

i put a daikin clutch in my car ages ago, and before i started it for the first time i adjusted the clutch to about the height it was with the old clutch.

i started the car and could get no gears whatsoever, but if i put it in gear and then started it the car would rollforewards like an auto - would still idle if you put the brake on - was wierd.

i loosened the cable heaps to bring the pedal nearly in line with the brake and it worked perfectly.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 22:50   #4 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

I adjusted it back yesterday expecting it to start slipping and stuff again, but it didn't. I'd say the first day I had the T5 in, there was a bit of oil and WD40 on everything and it just took a while to wear off.

It's completely different to drive now, the clutch grabs when the pedal is about 2cm from the floor as opposed to the 2in it was before!!

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline