Ford Forums banner

Clutch Help

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Rollin 
#1 ·
G'day
Coming home last night put the clutch in and bang! the clutch pedal went striaght to the firewall. The cable is loose, and the clutch pedal is sitting against the floor. i just had a look under the car. Took the dust protector off and i can see the cable is no longer joined to the fork arm, and the fork arm itself is slightly bent? What has happened!? I thort if i snapped the cable it should still be connected to the fork arm? Could it of been that the cable itself has come out due to the bent fork arm? Therefore i have to replace the fork arm?
I have noticed my clutch has been rather heavy, and some of my mates have also noticed.
Whats happened guys? how do i fix it :p
CHEEERS

#2 ·
If the pedal is to the floor then obviously the cable isn't attached to the arm. If the arm is bent you'll most likely have to replace it. Cables don't just come off like that! Although the arm is not a straight unit, it is bent towards the engine in the centre of the arm. In either case, check to see if you can put the cable back on, if not then replace the arm. To do that you have to remove the transmission, then take off the bellhousing. There is one screw/bolt thingy that the arm pivots on, take that off and remove the arm. Then put everything back together.

Alex

#3 ·
I have a related question:

The clutch pedal in my ED XR6 has lost a lot of its firmness and about 1/4 of its travel (like it doesn't 'spring' back the last 1/4 of its travel, or maybe I am just imagining this!). It also started to slip. I am suspicious that it may be related to the clutch cable because it happened in one moment (like one second fine, one second funny), not a gradual clutch slipping thing. Anyone have any ideas baout this?

#4 ·
yeah thanks for the reply alex. i managed to bend the fork back over and im leaving it to see if it gets worse. Took it for a test run and it seems ok. Hope it lasts.

Sorry I cant help DR_Hoon im clueless too :p
although i looked at gregorys manual and that gave me ideas

#5 ·
Dr_Hoon said:
I have a related question:

The clutch pedal in my ED XR6 has lost a lot of its firmness and about 1/4 of its travel (like it doesn't 'spring' back the last 1/4 of its travel, or maybe I am just imagining this!). It also started to slip. I am suspicious that it may be related to the clutch cable because it happened in one moment (like one second fine, one second funny), not a gradual clutch slipping thing. Anyone have any ideas baout this?
Mate I got a feeling that the firewal lhas bent or cracked a little, causing the clutch cable to come into the footwell more, subsequently losing its feel and some travel. Unfortunatley it won't fix itself, and will only get worse. You will need to reinforce the clutch cable hole on the firewall to fix it either with a weld or a metal plate. Ford make an aftermarket bracket but in most cases (and in mine as well) the crack is too big for the bracket to cover it... so you have to make your own.... Its fairly easy and can be done in around half a day to a day, there should be some sort of doco or thread here on the topic.

cheers
-XR6child

#6 ·
I wonder if you can replace the throwout arm without taking the bellhousing off. XR^child has just replaced his throwout bearing by taking the transmission off the bellhousing and working through the back of the bellhousing. It would save a little bit of work.

#8 ·
In that case, i'm not too sure, maybe your clutch cable has stretched a little bit and needs an adjustment.

If the clutch is slipping, its usually not the best sign either, it may just be the clutch in need of replacing..

-XR6child

#11 ·
yeah thanks for the reply alex. i managed to bend the fork back over and im leaving it to see if it gets worse. Took it for a test run and it seems ok. Hope it lasts.
do you mean that little hook with the two prongs had straightened out a bit? if thats what happened it will do it again, no worries.

that rubber/metal/hook thingy is replaceable without removing the arm from the gearbox, and it only costs about $20 IIRC - replace it!

mine died a bit over a year ago as i was just about to reverse out of my gfs driveway - lucky the car wasnt in gear! it gave me a hell of a fright, i thought the g'box had exploded or something!

#12 ·
rollin, thats what stokEB told me!
I went to ford spare parts and some ford wreckers and they told me that you cannot buy a new fork thingo you have to buy the whole unit(105 dollars - New retail), which means taking the gearbox out!
Can you be a little more specific, ie where u got the replacement fork from and how you did it! cheers bloke

#13 ·
Mate i just had a massive search through my drawer of recipts, to find the one for that bit - got pretty depressed as i realised how much money i have spent on my car since i bought it :(

anyway, the part is called a "INSULATOR ASSEMBLY - CLUTCH LEVER" and its part number is "XFL 7L588 A" retail price is $19.20+GST, i got it for $15.75 INC GST.

you just take off the clutch cable and then tap the insulator out backwards, towards the back of the car - it will most likely be jammed in there pretty hard from years of use/abuse ;) so it might take some doing.

the new one only has to be rested in there until you get the cable on, it will get stuck in there as the clutch is used.

so if that doesnt help you than nothing will :)

#14 ·
Rollin i think i love you.
Attached is a pic of what im talking about, which i hope you are talking about too. If it is, it will save me so much hassel!!!!! Thanks heaps mate, cause i was gonna fork out over 100 bucks and many man hours to fix the sunofabitch.

Attachments

#15 ·
yep thats what im on about.

if im that good, please send bulk amounts of cash, in non-consecutive notes, with all posible haste :) alternatively, i could send you my bank account details, into which you could transfer bulk abouts of said cash :s6:

the yellow bit that i have very dogily coloured in is all one piece, and gets bashed out from left to right - nothing holds it in except the pressure if it in its seat.

Attachments

#18 ·
that thing is on the end of a pivot arm that goes into the bellhousing, move the pivot arm to the back of the car as far as possible, which will only be a few cm, then you will probably have to tap the insulator thingo out with a hammer, hitting it from the front of the car to the back.

******ds

EDIT, well wadda ya know, it ****ing does remove the ****ing word out wards when you type it, i wonder what the ****ing hell is wrong with typing that? :s6:

#20 ·
Just wanted to say a bigggggg thankyou to rollin who managed to save me quite a bit of money. Ended up paying 27 bucks for the part ;). Was going to pay 120 bucks......
Mate if you ever need a favour give us a yell haha.
And what a bastard it is to get off! ended up angle griding the prick.

#21 ·
angle grinding??????????????????

yeah actually you can do me a favour, go round to petes house and tell him to hurry the f*ck up with my new computer!!!! im sooo over waiting for it, I NEED MORE POWER!!!

but anyway, glad to be of service :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.