Clutch problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2002, 04:20   #1 (permalink)
newxr8
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Clutch problems

Hi to everyone,

I am currently in the process of installing a third pbr clutch in my xr8. The first and second clutch kits lasted approximately 4000 klm's each before a constant ticking noise developed. This has been found to be the forks touching the bearing but currently am unsure how this has developed.

I am starting to get embarrassed at returning the vehicle!

Has anyone experienced similar problems.

The vehicle is an efxr8.

Thanks
Tim
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-17-2002, 15:19   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power
 
Jase_ELXR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,764
Re: Clutch problems

Quote:
Originally posted by newxr8
Hi to everyone,

I am currently in the process of installing a third pbr clutch in my xr8. The first and second clutch kits lasted approximately 4000 klm's each before a constant ticking noise developed. This has been found to be the forks touching the bearing but currently am unsure how this has developed.

I am starting to get embarrassed at returning the vehicle!

Has anyone experienced similar problems.

The vehicle is an efxr8.

Thanks
Tim
Tim, does it do a click when pushing the pedal down???
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 15:22   #3 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power
 
Jase_ELXR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,764
Actually has anyone here had a problem with with click/clunk whilst pushing pedal in on an XR8???
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 20:13   #4 (permalink)
Australian XR8 Member
 
Benny ELXR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 41
I had problems with my clutch, only 10,000km after I brought the car I had problems with it slipping, it had to be replaced.
I thought I might have just been unlucky, but it seems to be heading the same way again after about 12,000km.

I thought it might have been my driving style, although I am not rough on the car, occasionally give it some stick, but I had my EB XR6 for 25,000km and never touched the clutch, I understand that the V8 does put more stress on things, but should'nt ford accommodate for that in design.

I have toyed with the idea on a heavy duty clutch? any tips?
It seems I might not be the only one with this problem.....

Thanks Benny
__________________
Gunmetel Grey EL XR8.
Manual, 17" Rims, Full Bodykit.
My Dream furfiled for the moment.
Benny ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 22:45   #5 (permalink)
GTHO4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talk to Laminge he has plenty of experiences with clutches.
Don't you Laminge? :s5 :s5
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 03:43   #6 (permalink)
newxr8
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the comments guys,

Jase_elxr8, my clutch actually makes a fluttering noise which does stop when you depress the clutch more than say an inch.

Benny, I agree that a heavy duty clutch may solve all problems for you and me.

Anyway, my mechanic is waiting for another reply from Ford and PBR.

Thanks
Tim
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:23   #7 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power
 
Jase_ELXR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally posted by newxr8
Thanks for the comments guys,

Jase_elxr8, my clutch actually makes a fluttering noise which does stop when you depress the clutch more than say an inch.

Benny, I agree that a heavy duty clutch may solve all problems for you and me.

Anyway, my mechanic is waiting for another reply from Ford and PBR.

Thanks
Tim
I've had an ongoing issue with mine where occasionally it makes click/clunk noise when you press the pedal, it's got and the guys at work stumped as it seems no one else has had the problem. Mines had 3 different clutches, 2 forks, bearing retainer, spigot, 2 release bearings, 2 cables and few more bits and pieces. It's just reared it's ugly head again after about 5 months...

You're problem sounds like it could be loose spring clips that hold the fork on the pivot, also check the pivot as one side wears off them...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:26   #8 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power
 
Jase_ELXR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally posted by Benny ELXR8
I had problems with my clutch, only 10,000km after I brought the car I had problems with it slipping, it had to be replaced.
I thought I might have just been unlucky, but it seems to be heading the same way again after about 12,000km.

I thought it might have been my driving style, although I am not rough on the car, occasionally give it some stick, but I had my EB XR6 for 25,000km and never touched the clutch, I understand that the V8 does put more stress on things, but should'nt ford accommodate for that in design.

I have toyed with the idea on a heavy duty clutch? any tips?
It seems I might not be the only one with this problem.....

Thanks Benny
I'm currently running an RPM1195 which is a PBR kit. Haven't had any slipping problems...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 15:58   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
 
Aussie Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Melbourne VIC
Posts: 7,777
Quote:
Originally posted by Jase_ELXR8
I've had an ongoing issue with mine where occasionally it makes click/clunk noise when you press the pedal, it's got and the guys at work stumped as it seems no one else has had the problem.
Jase, have you looked at the pedal pivot? It sounds like it's a specific point in the clutch travel that it happens? Otherwise, a new cable because if a wire strand breaks it will catch on a certain part of the liner. My HSVs always did this since the cable got so hot next to the headers.

As for clutch issues, is everyone checking the finger angles when you install the clutch? If the fingers sit too flat the clutch will slip when it gets a few revs up. The fix? Space the pressure plate off the flywheel using shims or washers. This changes the finger angle and increases clamp pressure as revs rise (the exact principle used by Centreforce clutches which simplay add extra weights on the end of the fingers. If you space the pressure plate you MUST use new bolts and preferably high quality!
__________________
BA'1.5' Pursuit 290
Lightning Strike / Reflective Orange Stripes

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 22:04   #10 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power
 
Jase_ELXR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete

Jase, have you looked at the pedal pivot? It sounds like it's a specific point in the clutch travel that it happens? Otherwise, a new cable because if a wire strand breaks it will catch on a certain part of the liner. My HSVs always did this since the cable got so hot next to the headers.

As for clutch issues, is everyone checking the finger angles when you install the clutch? If the fingers sit too flat the clutch will slip when it gets a few revs up. The fix? Space the pressure plate off the flywheel using shims or washers. This changes the finger angle and increases clamp pressure as revs rise (the exact principle used by Centreforce clutches which simplay add extra weights on the end of the fingers. If you space the pressure plate you MUST use new bolts and preferably high quality!
Pete pretty much everything to do with the clutch has been changed (some more than once) except for the pedal itself. We think it has some thing to do with heat and the grease drying out inside the release bearing. If the area is sprayed with WD40 through the opening in the bellhousing, it goes away for about 3 weeks...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto to manual conversion guide mongrelEB Trans | Driveline 79 12-18-2011 15:27
Clutch problems barry_xr6 Trans | Driveline 7 02-29-2008 06:38
Clutch bounces and chatters dcliff1 Trans | Driveline 5 05-14-2003 03:54
Clutch problems??? Oz Trans | Driveline 2 03-29-2002 02:56
Clutch Problems AU SI V8 Ute rexd000 Trans | Driveline 2 03-07-2002 16:20

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.