Clutch run in - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2004, 22:33   #1 (permalink)

Clutch run in

Just fitted a new heavy duty 11" organic type clutch disc (my old one worked really well)....has HD RAM style long lever pressure plate.

Anyway, just thought I'd go for a blat around the streets with no headers on (extra ~50HP) and 3rd gear just spun up thru the rev range - clutch slip.

Is there any period of time I should wait to break it in? Are the surfaces slick out of the box with no friction and is this normal? Can I glaze the surface and wreck it?....backed off ASAP after 2 sec.

Cheers

PS: Don't ask about the open headers! I know.........bad boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 01:19   #2 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Re: Clutch run in

Clutches do take a bit of time to wear in.
If they slip excessively they will tend to burn and glaze,
You pretty much want to just drive it normally for a bit, trying to get some friction happening, but at the same time not getting it too hot.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:27   #3 (permalink)

what would happen if i new clutch would get to hot? just outta curiosity. (other than melt the clutch, anything bad?)
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:17   #4 (permalink)

If melting your clutch plate isn't bad enough............your clutch pressure plate and standard flywheel can get very hot and start to warp, giving you all sorts of chatter/rough engagement etc or even staight out failure.

I bought a second hand 11" pressure plate and the plate surface was out by miles. You could tell the previous owner had given it a flogging. You could see blue heat/burn marks also. Rebuild and machine = good to go!
Old 06-20-2004, 06:17   #5 (permalink)

clutch plate = disc
Old 06-20-2004, 21:50   #6 (permalink)

well, ive got a bit of rough clutch engagement on my toploader, is it possible that the flywheel or clutch face is warped?
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 23:39   #7 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Why did you post it then?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 04:44   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Just fitted a new heavy duty 11" organic type clutch disc (my old one worked really well)....has HD RAM style long lever pressure plate.

Anyway, just thought I'd go for a blat around the streets with no headers on (extra ~50HP) and 3rd gear just spun up thru the rev range - clutch slip.

Is there any period of time I should wait to break it in? Are the surfaces slick out of the box with no friction and is this normal? Can I glaze the surface and wreck it?....backed off ASAP after 2 sec.

Cheers

Right on TruBlu you only live once! I drove from Midland to Maylands a few years ago with open headers in peak hour traffic. Now that was fun. Should have heard the noise when I pulled into Mum's carport and gave it a rev. Lotsa fun.

As to the clutch issue TruBlu, I can't see that slipping under load in 3rd gear is a good thing even for a new clutch. Sounds under spec for your motors output or maybe it's not disengaging fully?

I had to use an 11inch single Ex-F100 spec clutch with modded spring pressure when I used a manual. That would chirp into 3rd gear normally, but if I took off wrong and got too much heat and slip into it then it wouldn't bite hard in any gear.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:23   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

you should make sure the clutch plate is clean and free from any dirt/grease, and roughen it up a bit, either by having it machined or rubbing it down with sandpaper - must be clean though!

when you take the pressure plate out of the box they have a coating on them to stop rust - did you clean this off with metho or some other solvent before fitting?

and yes, clutches do have a run-in period, just like brake pads - about 500km or so, where you have to drive conservatively - if you thrash it straight out of the box they tend to never be as good...

but it could also not be 'hard core' enough for your motor, as someone else has suggested.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:46   #10 (permalink)

STROKEXD: Yeah, my ears are still ringin'! Had a big hole in the floor for the new shifter, where the header pipes stopped, so it was extra loud. If it wasn't illegal I'd drive it like that all the time - with ear plugs. It's funny watching peoples faces.

I'm taking it wasy for a week and I'll give her a rap once the friction plate has had a good chance to rough up it's new surface. Used old pressure plate with new disc - it would always break the tyres loose before the clutch would slip. I think it should be OK.

Rollin: thanks for your advice mate. It was my old set up and was clean enough for a government worker

XDman - most common reason for shudder is a trashed clutch disc. Either you've killed it, it's covered in oil, or it's just old and worn out. You have to take the whole lot off to really find out anyway!! A good days job for an amateur like me + any time for flywheel machining and/or pressure plate rebuild. Do you have lots of oil around your bellhousing area? Can come from either your rear main seal or gearbox input shaft area.

Outback_ute: More a figure of speech than "don't really ask". If you can't sleep at night, then feel free to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline