Ford Forums banner

clutch scrape

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  BoZZa17 
#1 ·
ive gota 90 gl falcon, 5 speed. when i put in th clutch, about th last 1/3rd of the way it makes a scraping sound, sounds like metal and its seriously pissing me off. a mechanic sed nothn to wory about but th scrape drives me nuts. ne ideas to stop this? thnx
sounds like its comn from above th clutch behind th dash area.

#3 ·
Mine made that sound for a while. It turned out to be cracking in the firewall where the clutch cable comes out.

Either that or the pedal box is bending and the swivel pin thing (what the pedals connected to) is pulling away.

If its the firewall, fix is easy, if its the pedal box, its a dash out job. I hope its neither of those two problems good luck :hy:
- The Child

#5 ·
You dont need to weld really. all we did was bolt on a big 6cmx6cm steel plate around the firewall crack, bought the firewall clutch cable bracket from ford and placed it on top of the steel plate. Covers up the crack, and is strong as all shit now!

90gl I want you to do 2 things.

1. I want you to check your firewall where the cable is coming out. is there a crack around the entrance hole? If there is, congrats! It's the classic e-series manual firewall failure!

And

2. look at your clutch pedal. does it look twisted, bent, out of line with the brake pedal, or pionted away from the other pedals? If this is the case, your pedal box has failed and needs replacing.

-Dan

Oh, go and tell ya mechanic if you'd like someone else to check these things out, personally, I'd have a look myself, and get back to me. Cheers!

#7 ·
XR6child said:
You dont need to weld really. all we did was bolt on a big 6cmx6cm steel plate around the firewall crack, bought the firewall clutch cable bracket from ford and placed it on top of the steel plate. Covers up the crack, and is strong as all shit now!

90gl I want you to do 2 things.

1. I want you to check your firewall where the cable is coming out. is there a crack around the entrance hole? If there is, congrats! It's the classic e-series manual firewall failure!

And

2. look at your clutch pedal. does it look twisted, bent, out of line with the brake pedal, or pionted away from the other pedals? If this is the case, your pedal box has failed and needs replacing.

-Dan

Oh, go and tell ya mechanic if you'd like someone else to check these things out, personally, I'd have a look myself, and get back to me. Cheers!
yeh it does look a bit twisted actually. how much is a new pedal box gona fix/where cud i get this from? thnx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.