Ford Forums banner

Clutch sticking causing low idle

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  RPO-083 
#1 ·
Hi.
I have an XF Fairmont Ghia, 4-speed manual, 2.77 LSD. Just recently whenever i cold start my car, i have to depress the clutch pedal, even though neutral is selected. As the car is idling in neutral and i raise the clutch pedal, the rpm drops to around 600rpm, when normal idle for my car is at 800-900rpm. As soon as i depress the pedal again, the revs pick up. The car keeps thinking the gearbox is engaged, but it's in neutral. Really puzzling. :fraz:

To also add to my troubles, when i go to drive, the car is hard to get out of first and crunches when i try selecting second. If i manage to pull it out of first, i can shortshift into third easily, not to damage the gearbox. However, once the car is driven for around 5 mins or so, the clutch works fine. I was thinking that i have a worn pressure pad and it might be sticking to the flywheel, as i've checked the clutch adjustment and that is fine. Any suggestions on what the problem is and how i fix it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

#2 ·
Xtreme_Ford said:
Hi.
I have an XF Fairmont Ghia, 4-speed manual, 2.77 LSD. Just recently whenever i cold start my car, i have to depress the clutch pedal, even though neutral is selected. As the car is idling in neutral and i raise the clutch pedal, the rpm drops to around 600rpm, when normal idle for my car is at 800-900rpm. As soon as i depress the pedal again, the revs pick up. The car keeps thinking the gearbox is engaged, but it's in neutral. Really puzzling. :fraz:

To also add to my troubles, when i go to drive, the car is hard to get out of first and crunches when i try selecting second. If i manage to pull it out of first, i can shortshift into third easily, not to damage the gearbox. However, once the car is driven for around 5 mins or so, the clutch works fine. I was thinking that i have a worn pressure pad and it might be sticking to the flywheel, as i've checked the clutch adjustment and that is fine. Any suggestions on what the problem is and how i fix it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
it sounds like the spigot is holding onto the input shaft,does it make a noise when you let hte clutch out to drive off :priest:

#3 ·
Nah,
There's no noise when i lift the clutch. The car accelerates fine, but won't shift between the low gears. However, there is a metallic scrapping/rubbing noise coming from the center front of the car, just when the clutch is depressed and i'm coming to a stop. Goes after the car has been driven for a while.

#4 ·
Xtreme_Ford said:
Nah,
There's no noise when i lift the clutch. The car accelerates fine, but won't shift between the low gears. However, there is a metallic scrapping/rubbing noise coming from the center front of the car, just when the clutch is depressed and i'm coming to a stop. Goes after the car has been driven for a while.
sounds like the spigot to me by the symptoms your giving :priest:

#5 ·
The problem is in the gearbox. Two possibilities.
1. Oil is too thick.
2. The little bearing inside the input shaft (which supports the front of the main shaft) has failed.

I would be tipping number 2. But, if you feel lucky, change the oil and see how you go.

Oh yeah, the major cause for problem number 2 is excessive engine revs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd; you don't do that, do you....?

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I think i will go for option number 2. I refilled the transmission oil around six months ago and didn't use the recommended Dexol 3 or whatever it's called. Possibly damaged the gearbox.

I never stretch the lower gears out. Always short shift like a granny. :driver:
However, i have sometimes accelerated hard in 1st and 2nd, which i know isn't really good, considering the torque that the clutch/Transmission has to take.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.