Clutch in XR8 SPRINT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2001, 01:51   #1 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Question Clutch in XR8 SPRINT

Without sounding to much like a girl, Hehehe,

In the last few days I've noticed a clicking noice when I lift the clutch pedal. I only happens when I lift my foot & its a fairly loud click. I can feel it in the pedal so I think it could only be there but Im really not sure..Any ideas I am a little bit handy with most things or should I take her straight to the doctors.

Thanks in anticipation,

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2001, 05:06   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

It's not the dredded pedal box or shaft bending?Are you slowly losing peddle travel? Also check to see if clutch peddle moves straight up & down. Iff not it's bending..
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 06:21   #3 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Read

Wow that is freaky. I just went through a clutch issue with my Sprint last week. I knew the clutch was on the outer for a while but it was driving ok. Things turned ugly mid last week though and the clutch totally shat itself within 2 days. I barely limped it iver to the mechanic and it was wailing like a banshee as I drove it in.

Due to the state of the various components (all original by the looks of things - not bad for 140k) it was all replaced. New GT clutch assembly complete. New clutch fork and bearing. New clutch cable (to be safe). Machined flywheel and tranny snout. All up with parts and labour it cost me $2600 odd. I was a little shocked by the cost with a bit over $1600 in parts. Dont have price breakdowns on individual components but I'm guessing Ford made a nice slice for themselves.

On the bright side the clutch is now super light, almost lput my foot through the firewall when I drove it afterwards. One issue I have is it starts engaging about as soon as the pedal comes off the floor and is fully engaged after what seems like an inch of travel. Haven't stalled a manual so much since I learned to drive manual and I reckon I did it less then too! It bites super well though.

From talking with the mechanic and testing the clutch in his XR8 ute he thinks that the increased pedal effort required in his cars (other one is a Sprint too!) is due to the diaphragm going off and that combined with poor design of the clutch pivot (fulcrum?) on the pedal box is why the boxes fail so consistently. Happened to mine some months back.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 06:38   #4 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Hello anakha been awhile mate...
I had my EDXR8 clutch upgraded to ELGT spec..
The parts were Genuine Ford made by VALEO or something or rather... PRICES well by memory it was bloody close to $800 just for the clutch plate & pressure plate..
That tranny snout lol as you put it is very prone to wearing & is 1 cause of problems in operation. For about $140 Aussie dollars , well it was back then you can get a billit jobbie which doesnt wear as much as the genuine ford one does

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 15:30   #5 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Instead of using the Ford kit, you should get a PBR kit. 1195 or RPM1195 for heavy duty. Still made by Valeo but cheaper coz it doesn't say ford on the box.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 15:58   #6 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

I did the pedal box and clutch earlier this year. (got the 1195 which replaced the Heavy Duty centerforce)
To me - the clutch feels light. To Brad (Sprint owner / driving instructor who had a fang around wakefield in my car) he thought the clutch was REALLY HEAVY.

(He also came very close to stalling the car a couple of times - cos cam might be a little too lumpy than he is used to)
Old 11-14-2001, 00:29   #7 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Thanks for the response guys & gals

I think I will take her in & get it checked out I was hoping it may have been an easy fix, but not from what you guys are sayin...Thanks again..:s6:

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline