Clutches - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2003, 00:02   #1 (permalink)
Ford Fanatic

Question Clutches

Hi all,

recently I replaced my standard clutch in my EL XR8 with a daiken heavy duty, and am very disappointed with the outcome.

The reason being is that I like to feel the clutch action and for it to be reasonably heavy - I understand that even though the clutch is a heavy duty this doesn't necessarily mean the feel is heavy. But now with the daiken the clutch is much lighter than the standard one and feels like a 4 cylinder.

I noticed at the fpv day a while back that they installing valeo's on the new BA's [XR8 and GT - possibly XR6]. Wondering what these are like, what other clutches people have used and if anyone else has used the daiken clutches.

any input appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2003, 03:43   #2 (permalink)

You want a heavy clutch? Trust me you dont, cause months down the track you'll be re-enforcing firewall where the cable goes through and replacing the pedal box, due to the strain a heavier clutch does to these parts.

Do a search on the forums, its very common, even heard of this happening on AUs
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:51   #3 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

You will find the daikin is a valeo clutch. They just repackage them. The ford ones are valeo as well as the pbr ones...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:43   #4 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

wanna swap? when it wore out the previous owner of my car thought he was doing the right thing and put in a heavy duty clutch - the result being that within 30,000km the pedal box died, the little clip that holds the cable to the pedal broke (martin you know what im talking about!) the fingers on the rubber bush on the release lever on the box straightened out, the firewall started to tear pretty badly...i think they were the only problems...

oh yeah apart from that i think i will get arthritis in my left knee in about 2 years and none of my girlfriends could drive the car as they werent phsyically strong enough to press the pedal down!!!

please please please give me some info on this magic daikin clutch!!!! how much is it, what is the part number???? can i get one from repco or so i have to hunt around for a shop that sells them? im bloody sick of this shit! i have replaced everything in the clutch system except the release fork in the gearbox (oh bugger you all know whats going to happen on the way to work tomorrow....)

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:03   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Actually the release fork can be extended alittle so you get better leverage [mechanical advantage] and makes pedal effort less and helps everything els...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:31   #6 (permalink)
Ford Fanatic

Thanks for your input Martin. I am very aware of this problem as I it has happened to both my brother's EB XR8 and EB II GLi.
Therefore I understand the problems that could arise.

I just dont understand why the daiken is so light compared to the standard EL clutch and heaps lighter than the standard EB XR8.

I am just after something a bit heavier and not so light and springy. And as you mentioned Rollin that your clutch was too heavy that [quote] : :

"none of my girlfriends could drive the car as they werent phsyically strong enough to press the pedal down!!!"

I dont think is such a bad thing as I would love a clutch like that to especially keep my girlfriend out of my car.

I can't remember the exact price and part no. but will post it asap.
Old 04-30-2003, 16:19   #7 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

I had my standard EL2XR8 clutch replaced with a PBR GT kit about 5000km ago, and the PBR unit is much better in all respects. It has a much meatier pedal feel to it, which I prefer to soft'n'safe. Can highly recommend this unit in the EL!!
Old 04-30-2003, 22:08   #8 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

I got sick of heavy pedals mid last year and replaced my XR's RPM Performer stuff with a Daiken HD setup. Pedal is way nicer to use, no more twisted pedal brackets, no worrying about busted clutch cables or ripping the firewall out.

I did post the info here mid last year with part numbers etc, but can't find it now.

I do recall the reason for the lighter clutch actuation was it had about 1cm more contact patch on clutch/pressure plate and I believe the springs are lighter.

Oh yep, price fitted including $65 for flywheel machine was $490, thats pressure plate, clutch plate and thrust bearing kit.
If you don't machine the fly, they won't warrent it.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline