Converting XF 3 Speed Auto to 4 Speed Manual...Is it Easy? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2003, 21:25   #1 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

confused Converting XF 3 Speed Auto to 4 Speed Manual...Is it Easy?

Hey Guys,

I want to convert my rebuilt 250 carby XF from auto to manual. Is it easy to do? I gather ill need a 4 speed manual box, EST computer for manual, pedal box, interior pieces (surround/boot). Is there anything else roughly?

How much would the box cost? Rough labour estimate for fitting? Id be getting my local mechanic guy to do it for me..

Would the motor have to be removed to fix the gearbox? Or can the auto be pulled out and the manual bolted engine in place?

Anybody here converted an XF to manual?

Thanks

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2003, 06:37   #2 (permalink)
another XF driver

Re: Converting XF 3 Speed Auto to 4 Speed Manual...Is it Easy?

mate, i have done exactly that. about 3 months ago i converted my 3 speed XF to a 4 speed manual. mine is a carby and i gather yours is EFI but i dont think that would cause a problem. i found someone to do it for me, initially i was going to attemt it with a mate but decided against it. it cost me $600, which included absolutely everything. he supplied all the parts and he kept everything he took out (auto box etc), which i couldnt have cared less about. i tell ya, i am stoked. it seems to go heaps harder now and i can also spin the wheels on a dry road in a straight line, something the auto could not have managed(lsd made that rather difficult!). the engine does not need to come out either. if you have any questions, send us a PM. hope i've been a help.

Paul.

Currently missing a set of splits and my gear knob as some bastard stole them! Damn thieves!

See My Car Here
CHONXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 20:22   #3 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

How long did it take for the whole conversion?

Also, I've heard that when you convert an auto to a manual, you get squeeks in the clutch. Is this true?
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 20:36   #4 (permalink)

take a mechanic 6hours or so
OverDose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 05:48   #5 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Thanks for the replies guys..

CHONXF...mines a carby too...$600? that sounds alrite...i guess id better speak to my mechanic about it...$600 includes the box and everything? And the pedal box installation?

Thanks

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:33   #6 (permalink)
another XF driver

yeah it included absolutely everything. i dropped the car off as an auto. paid $600 and picked it up as a manual. i should say this was a guy working from his house, but he gave me a warranty and he seemed quite trustworthy. i had a small problem with the clutch cable a while ago and he fixed it for nothing. he told me to ring if there was any more problems and he would fix it.
you just need to ring around, eventually you'll find someone good and cheap. when i was looking into it, some places were saying $600 just for the parts. if your interested i could get in contact with him for you.
oh, and it took him a couple of days, but he had a few other jobs on at the time. if you have any other questions, just ask.
cheers.

Paul.

Currently missing a set of splits and my gear knob as some bastard stole them! Damn thieves!

See My Car Here
Old 09-17-2003, 17:02   #7 (permalink)

bloody oh, that was a good deal 600

how is it?

run harder?

hows the gear box?

cheers,
OverDose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 21:37   #8 (permalink)
another XF driver

forgot to say in my last post that there isn't any squeaks in the clutch. there is a very small noise when the clutch is in, i've been told it's a bearing or something and that it's not a problem, but if it does cause any dramas then he will fix it no charge.
overall i am extremely happy with it. the gearbox feels really good, it's nice and smooth changing into each gear. there isn't a noise changing into reverse either. and the car definately goes harder now it is manual. i haven't lost to a vl yet, much to their disgust. keep those questions coming.

Paul.

See My Car Here
Old 04-07-2008, 17:49   #9 (permalink)

hey guys
i was woundering if any one still had there contact of the guy who did ther conversion from auto to man. auto is really pissing me off its so gut less
orulesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline