Ford Forums banner

Damn heavy clutch

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  gmanEA 
G
#1 ·
hey all, i finally got me another car!!!

its a eb s - pak, 5 speeder with 2.5" system....all i have to do now is learn how to drive manual.

The thing with it is, is the clutch is fukin heavy....i had a go in my mates pajeroa while ago, and his clutch was light as air.

Are the clutches in the manual falcons all really heavy or is mine just dodgy.

Can it be made lighter so to speak

#2 ·
When I test drove my brothers car (EA S-pak 5 speed MPI) I noticed the same thing. It was very heavy indeed. We asked the owner about it and he said it was normal for that type of car. Personally I don't know if I could put up with it day in day out. But my brother didn't mind it so he bought the car.

I just assumed it was normal because of the size of the car and amount of torque the engine produces.

Ash

G
#3 ·
Heavy Clutch

Normal for the falcons. Most newer vehicles have a hydraulic setup which makes them lighter. You could try adjusting it. I found it made a difference on mine but for some reason it started to slip so i put it back.

#4 ·
Re: Heavy Clutch

When I was having my driving lessons I drove a manual car. It was some sort of 4 cy Mazda, pretty new.
Anyhow, I remember that after an hour of driving, my leg would get very tired from pushing the clutch in. I don't have this problem with my EA.
I have driven cars with a much lighter clutch then the EA, but
there are a large amount of cars with a heavier clutch.

Then again, who cares how heavy the clutch is when you take off sideways ;)

If you adjust the clutch pedal too tightly, the cable will become too tight, and act as if you are slightly pressing the clutch, that's why it slips.

G
#6 ·

Yes my ED XR6 has one hell of a heavy clutch, previous owner said it was a heavy duty perfomance type one.

Ive driven another ED XR6 and its clutch was much lighter(stock clutch), same goes for a TE-50 I drove also (which was as light as my mother's Mazda 626).

G
#7 ·
yeah ea's have heavy clutches

Yeah, my ea has a very heavy clutch compared to other manual cars especially jap cars, i think that's the way it is but hey you get a good workout on the calves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.