Diff Additive - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2003, 04:08   #1 (permalink)

Diff Additive

Ive read on here recently that ford add an additive to the diff to stop clunkying etc.Im out of my warranty now and would just like to know what its called ,how much to put in ,do i have to change the oil beforehand etc.If youd be so kind it would be appreciated thanks
CLARKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2003, 09:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: Diff Additive

It's called Lubrizol. Don't know how much. Ring up Ford spare parts, they'd know. How many k's have you done? Usually diff oil is good for 100,000k's (depending on how the car is treated). You can add that stuff at any time, but changing diff oil is easy, so you may as well change it out if you want to. Make sure you put the right stuff back in - diff oils ain't diff oils.

cheers
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 13:40   #3 (permalink)

As far as I know, the additive is only required for models equipped with Ford's "Traction Lock" rearend. The posi unit needs a friction modifier to be added to the differential fluid to prevent it from foaming up as well as to eliminate any of the shudder sometimes associated with a posi unit.
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 23:18   #4 (permalink)

I got 50,000 on it now .I got a au2 xl ute .I just got a bit of clunking when going from p to r and to drive.Also its quite high pitched noise ,you know the whine they make .I think thats normal though isnt it?Also around the diff there was like a thick grease just sitting on the bottom of it ,so i cleaned it off.I did check the fluid and it was a little foamy.It was just below the hole where the nut goes.Is lubrizol a friction modifier ?How much do i put in and how do u get the old oil out?And what diff oil is the best to put in top ghia?I dont think its a lsd diff well im pretty sure it isnt .THANKS ALOT GUYS
Old 11-09-2003, 00:00   #5 (permalink)

If its an LSD/V8 it will have a metal tag on one of the bolts.

You drain it by taking out the bottom bolt on the diff cover. The owner's manual should tell you what sort of oil to use. A 6 cyl conventional takes a SAE 90 Hypoid, about 1.6 litres. You can use some Nulon G70 as well, if you can't find the Lubrizol.

I would also get a second opinion on the clunking when selecting the gears, it could be the gearbox - auto or manual. If it an auto, check the fluid level and colour.

cheers
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 00:20   #6 (permalink)

ok thanks mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline