diff bounce? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2004, 02:50   #1 (permalink)

diff bounce?

hey guys,

ive been in so many cars over time that when they spin the wheels they occasionally get that horrible sounding and feeling 'diff bounce'.... you all know what im refering too.... and well, now my new car only 'occasionally' does it too (351 XC coupe)....so what is actually causing it?... annd how much damage is it doing to my diff, and whole drive line? is there anyway to prevent it

thanks in advance
-matt-
mattXCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 03:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: diff bounce?

I think its called axle tramp and you can get tramp rods ( i think thats what they are called) to fix the problem.
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:55   #3 (permalink)

Check your shockies. If they're old/crap, ditch them and put some good ones in there. Often the shocks will cause the tramp, along with stuffed springs. If this doesn't work, you might have to get the tramp rods. Axle tramp is not the best thing for your driveline, especially your uni's, so try to fix it shortly.
shano6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:28   #4 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

Definately check the shocks. Also while you're under there check all the bushings in your rear suspension. Worn bushes can cause it too.
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 20:30   #5 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Mine axle tramps like a bitch, wet and dry. Where can i get these axle rods from? Can i put them in myself?
Old 07-03-2004, 03:19   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Mine does it in the wet and dry, basically whats happening is the diff is causing the front side of the spring to twist, because the spring is too weak.
Im getting new 5 leaf springs for mine, with a 3/4 rebound leaf, which will give more support. (Did already get some but they were way too low - waiting for others to arrive next week)
You can get a rebound leaf fitted your existing springs, which will solve it 90% of the time. Bad shockies and bushes can also contribute to it.
WA Suspensions are supplying mine (the guy there that does the leaf spring work is VERY helpful even if you take the car there and get him to have a look, he will tell you the best way to solve it - He actually went out of his way to get my springs sorted out - new ones are being arranged, they are not just sending the [too low] ones off to be reset like most places will, you can also speak to the boys at Wilkinsons as they also can supply new, or modify your existing springs.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:48   #7 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Yep, what you have is axle tramp.

Shocks are first on thre list, but I could not get my XD to stop bouncing until I got a set of custom 6 leaf springs made up and I also run slapper bars to keep the xd from bouncing.

MustangNicko, only leaf sprung cars can get axle tramp, EF's just get poor traction from the very soft springs/shocks they have. A new set of of shocks, some springs with a higher spring rate and nolothane bushes will stop your problem.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:59   #8 (permalink)

I've got the heavy duty 6 leaf springs too and it never tramps. They are really stiff and it stops the springs winding up.

Tramp rods or slapper bars can be fitted in about 30 minutes. I have a brand new set, but with 2" lowering blocks they scrape the ground. Plus they're illegal in WA & you could get a canary. Stiff springs and good shocks should fix your problem though.

I'd stop doing the diff bouncing until you get things beefed up. Could break something.
Old 07-03-2004, 19:14   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9psi EB
leaf springs for mine, with a 3/4 rebound leaf, which will give more support..
I have similar rear springs but I only got 1/2 rebound springs. I have no tramp under acceleration, but can get severe tramp under hard braking.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline