Diff Clunk etc... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2001, 04:24   #1 (permalink)
BSR

Diff Clunk etc...

Ok.......it must have been spoken about before on FF but i cant find it.

My car Au XR8 has had the oil treatment twice now and has worked both times for about 5000k's.

What have you guys done with the same/similar problem??

Oil treatment??
New diff??

I am going to demand a new diff this time.......Kloster Ford here i come!!!!

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2001, 04:25   #2 (permalink)
BSR

i assume you know what i was talking about.......

Diff clunks on trailing throttle and when you come to a slow stop

12/03 FPV GT 725
Old 07-14-2001, 04:38   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Hey, sounds like the same thing my ED does. Always has, I guess I'm just tolerant. Oh no, that's not it, it's the wifes car.

Does someone here know what causes that? Iv'e been meaning to fix it but it hasn't gotten any worse (bought car with 18,000km now has 125,000km) and I don't have to put up with it that often.
Old 07-14-2001, 04:40   #4 (permalink)
BSR

I thought it was just on the Au series with IRS/LSD.......i tell you though im over it!!!!

12/03 FPV GT 725
Old 07-14-2001, 05:17   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XLR8
I thought it was just on the Au series with IRS/LSD.......i tell you though im over it!!!!
Ok I see what you were talking about now. New diff mate. Shouldn't have a problem getting one either. If you do, contact me and I will tell you a little story
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 06:47   #6 (permalink)
Australian TE50 AU1 Member

Had the same problem with the TE, also talked to other TE owners and yep, they had the same problem, one bloke is on his second diff, still not satisfied.

First FTE changed the IRS axles, slight improvement, I went back and said still not satisfied, I want a new diff, they said not yet, try the new oil first. After new oil and seals were fitted the clunk went away and hasn't come back after 10,000kms. So fingers crossed, it has worked. This is such a common problem, all I get from FTE is it's the same diff as HSV, it's just the way they are. They are reluctant to talk about it in detail. Best of luck.
TeeHee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 16:40   #7 (permalink)
BSR

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2

Ok I see what you were talking about now. New diff mate. Shouldn't have a problem getting one either. If you do, contact me and I will tell you a little story

Thanks Ian......will do

12/03 FPV GT 725
Old 07-14-2001, 17:25   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TeeHee
Had the same problem with the TE, also talked to other TE owners and yep, they had the same problem, one bloke is on his second diff, still not satisfied.

First FTE changed the IRS axles, slight improvement, I went back and said still not satisfied, I want a new diff, they said not yet, try the new oil first. After new oil and seals were fitted the clunk went away and hasn't come back after 10,000kms. So fingers crossed, it has worked. This is such a common problem, all I get from FTE is it's the same diff as HSV, it's just the way they are. They are reluctant to talk about it in detail. Best of luck.
They are right it is the same diff that Holden have been using and there is the first mistake:eek:

Ford are running higher them 80 % replace on this item and have been tearing strips off BTR telling them to fix this piece of junk.

I have the latest version in my car now and it is a huge improvement over the original. Still a little bit there but it is better
Old 07-14-2001, 17:29   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XLR8

Thanks Ian......will do
Good luck. Its not the dealers decision to make. Ford have your service record, your details go into the system and some computer somewhere sends out the new unit. I got a shock when I found out how this works and was angry that I put up with a dealer telling me the car was normal for nearly 2.5 years
Old 07-15-2001, 01:44   #10 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

Hey Rob!!! Does the Diff noise have anything to do with the two large black lines that seem to always run directly from your rear wheels.........LOL.......

Nipper...... Just kiddin......
Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline