Diff overthetop or not ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2002, 05:29   #1 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Diff overthetop or not ?

Hey guys, I have a kickass EA MPEFI falcon T5 that i love to bits and dont mind spending the money on performance, i dont care for costmetics at all, I like the stock look.

Anyhow, I have a DEV3 kit, fatter tyres and it runs like a beast, eating VS commodore yesterday for breakfast. I have 136kw at the back wheels. My diff is rooted and it is the stock 2.92 single spinner.

I need a replacement diff so I was thinking 3.45lsd, but ive been recommended by several people to go for a 9'' 3.50 LSD diff with metal plates for extra strength and stuff like that. Ive been quoted between $1600 - $1800 by a few places for the diff.

I plan next year, instead of opting for cylinder compression and the likes to go for a big turbo or supercharger and eat that 10.83second EL , possibly some NOS in there (but not the neons or momo).

Overall question is, would this diff be overthe top for my current config, if so still should get for my future plans. Cheers guys
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2002, 05:44   #2 (permalink)

yea.
the diff isnt over the top

but your 10.83 second eater is
lol

driven ur car... and the current diff is a freak of nature and gives headaches after 5 minutes
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 20:18   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

How ya doing GmaN.
Well to tell to the truth, if you plan on getting the EA into the 10 sec bracket you will most likely be better off starting by changing the 5 sped to an auto. Two reasons for this.
1. The T5 won't take the power.
2. You will probably get quicker times with the auto.

As for your current setup, I reckon anything up to a 3.45 would make you a very happy camper, however, you don't need a 9".
On the other hand, a 9" would be a must for a 10sec car.

Cyaaa
Old 10-19-2002, 20:33   #4 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Thanks guys for your replies.

You are probably right with the auto, I hear 3 speed auto is good, but that i wont worry about till long into the picture.

I will take your advice, get the 9'' diff with 3.45 or 3.50 ratio, then when i have more cash next year decide where to take it from there.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:13   #5 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

I went to campbellfield today and spoke to them, they have an AU xr8 with 350kw at the rear wheels and he says its fine with diff that isnt 9''. He reckons it will decrease performance on my current set up because it will draw too much power to drive the thing, so im going with now a 3.45LSD and I will get the Unichip put in around January, im hoping for over 150rwkw.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:22   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Good choice not to go the 9".
They do take alot of power to turn the buggers...and most of the time an old borg warner is up to the job.

I agree that the 3.45 LSD would be the way to go...
I am not too sure exactly what can be done to the 3 speed Auto but I think it'd work out better in the end than going the T5 or the 4 speed Auto.

May I ask what you have done to your EA so far to acheive that power level? ( of course, you dont have to tell us cam specs etc )

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 17:26   #7 (permalink)

Ok firstly i dont believe that you can achieve 10 second passes by just tacking on a hairdryer. A chain is ony as strong as it's weakest link, firstly gearbox, u will shatter the t5, secondly the diff may hold up. Gearbox u might be able to get by with a tricked up 3spd with stally. Next block ground up and making it strong enuff to withstand a turbo, and the cam u have may be useless, it's the mock cam and im sure it wil do well for n/a applications but cam timing would need to be different for turbo cars, then the computer and all sorts. Not impossible, not at all but expensive and ALOT of work, and i dont even thing i covered everything.
madEAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline