Diff Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2002, 23:39   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Fan

Question Diff Questions

Hey guys

when it comes to diff's, i must admit i dont know a whole lot. I have an EF Fairmont, and i wanna know what ratio is in it. I've heard (read) that the ratio should be stamped onto the diff housing somewhere, does anyone know where this is?? Also, i would like an LSD, (which i think works on clutch type system??) and what i want to know, is it possible to get the LSD clutches and keep the existing center (as i believe it's prolly 3.23) ???? I know people will probably say get a 3.45 LSD, but $$ are very tight as im full time uni student at the moment, but would like to have LSD.

Thanks for ya help guys

'69 XW Fairmont GS (GT Replica), Reef Green 351c 2V (not for long ), Top Loader, 9" with 3.55's,
RedEF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2002, 00:57   #2 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

EF sedans have a 3.08 (I am pretty sure fairmonts are the same)
Utes and wagons have a 3.23
XR (sedans only I think) have a 3.45

I know a guy with a wagon that has a 3.23 LSD. Let me know and I'll find out where he got it from if you want.

Yes, they are the friction cone/clutch system, unless you get a hydratrak - outback style - diff, but not best for your needs.
Go a 3.23 LSD if you can get one. 3.45 good with manuals for acceleration, but not as well suited to an auto. Not too worth while making the 3.08 an LSD, unless you do a lot of wet weather driving.

cheers
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 07:10   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Fan

Thanks for the advice Tickford6, do u have any ideas where abouts on the housing the tag for the ratio is?? and if you could find out where the guy got his 3.23 LSD would be good thanks

'69 XW Fairmont GS (GT Replica), Reef Green 351c 2V (not for long ), Top Loader, 9" with 3.55's,
Old 09-18-2002, 01:47   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Here are previous threads that may help with your query:

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...highlight=diff

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 05:51   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

RedEF6,

Diff ratios can be found on two places on your diff if it hasn't lost them already through wear and tear etc.

First place to look is on the rear cover of the diff, there will hopefully be a metal tag about 1cmX5cm on one of the cover bolts, it'll have the ratio stamped on it.

Second place to look is on the drivers side axle housing, there might still be a yellow label on the forward top surface. If the label is still there and readable, the ratio will be in big black numbers at the top left corner of the label.

The last way to be sure of the ratio's is take your VIIN to the local Ford dealer and ask the service guys to pull up the original build details, (hoping the diff hasn't been changed in the car's life).

Chris Nee
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 23:34   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Fan

I found a sticker on the drivers side axle housing, however it was silver, not yell, in large letters it had 4EE and in the lower right corner it had ratio 3.23:1, so i presume this is my ratio :) Can anyone suggest places in adelaide to get an LSD and have it fitted??
Thanks

Old 09-19-2002, 03:16   #7 (permalink)
donuts2001

I really don't think it's any cheaper getting the diff centre replaced, that will cost ya a fortune cos they need to get them exactly straight and use all these special tools and it's very time consuming. But you should ask around anyways.

I've got a 3.23 LSD and it seems to be pretty good, but in the weta nd on the dirt it's compulsorary fishtail session if you give it any gas... could be my dodgy tyresthough .. hehe.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:03   #8 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

if you are going to definatly get a LSD fitted then it should cost you nearly the same to get the 3.45:1 LSD as the 3.23 - all VLs had 3.45 to my knowlege and they are cheap lukeyn039 has a VL 3.45:1 diff centre in his car, talk to him about it.

i reckon go the 3.45:1

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline