Ford Forums banner

Diff Ratio

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
I have a little money to spend at moment and im gonna buy a ripper shifter and performance clutch.
But i am thinking i will also drop my diff ratio because i basically wanna drop 1/4 times a bit.
I have the factory EB XR8 ratio at mo 3.45 i think (can't be bothered getting under car)
I have been told the XR6 has a shorter ratio and it makes a improvement, but im not sure if this will be enough.. plus i cannot get one second hand in SA at moment.

I am basically doing it for performance only and know the engine will rev higher at high speed etc As long as im not spinning 3500 at 100 kays in 5th....
Can anyone makes any suggestions or comments that may help me out, before i do the diff shop run around.
Thanks for all help..

#2 ·
I have a 3.73 LSD fitted to my auto EF. On the road 100k is about 2500 revs. 3.9's could also an option, 4.1's I think are starting to cruise at to higher revs. You also need to get a convert box to modify the gearbox signal to the computer, this is around $150.

#3 ·
Your ratio is 3:27 to 1. If man it should be L.S.D.
From the latter models on had 3:45 to 1..
to change gears its about $1000.00
Possibly less for 2nd hand XR E.L 3:45..
Not that much lower but you can do it yourself!!

#6 ·
I do have LSD, $1000 sounds a bit rich just to swap ratios....
i would have thought about $750..
Has anyone in a manual dropped there ratios??
Thankyou

#7 ·
Martin the LSD was std on E.B xr8's in manual transmission..

From checking around it can be done[cheaper] but they use your existing bearings.There for NO warrenty!!

The pinion bearing is the one that sh!tsitself... Ha Micheal ????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.