diff ratios and quarter miles.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2003, 22:55   #1 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

diff ratios and quarter miles....

hey peoples, i have a question about diff ratios and their effect on quarter mile times.

i have a 3.45:1 LSD at the moment, but a guy at work says he can get me a set of 3.7:1 diff gears for about $80, plus fitting and lapping into my housing (havent got a quote yet)

my current revs @ 60 in 4th are 1600, (1:1 ratio) and i figure that a set of 3.7s will see it turning at 1715 (or thereabouts ) at the same speed/gear, so maybe these extra revs will help stop me creeping over the speed limit cause it is reving a little harder.

what is the 5th gear ratio on a T5? i want to work out what revs @100km/h

i have done a 15.7, there is a 15.6 in there definately and maybe a 15.5 if i get it all perfect, 15.7 was @ 88.5MPH - how/will this be affected if i get the shorter ratio diff?

working off the terminal speed i was doing about 3800rpm in 4th as i crossed the line, and max power is at around 4500 (seat of the pants dyno lol)

do you think it will be worth it and where can i get a speedo gear to keep my speedo accurate?

sorry for so many questions, thanks for your help in advance!

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2003, 00:18   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Ok one answer at a time.

The T5 5th gear ratio is 0.73 or 0.72 dependant on which vehicle model and when.

Revs @ 100 km/h will depend on your tyre size but if we work on 235/45/17 as an example then your overall tyre diameter is 25.326 inches (I know thats archaic but that's how I learnt to do these).

With your present 3.45 and an overdrive ratio of 0.72 for 5th gear your revs @ 100 km/h will be around 2060 rpm or about 48.5 km/100 revs.

A change to the 3.7 will change your 100 km/h revs to 2209. or 45.2 km/1000 revs.

As to the change this will make to your 1/4 mile time this requires a bit more info and some fancy maths but I will try and work it back from the numbers provided.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 00:47   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I've been wondering this same thing myself (which diff ratio is optimal for the 1/4 mile). It depends on so many factors. A taller ratio means less gear changes, and it potentially also means better traction. One person I spoke to thought that a 2.77 or 2.92 was the optimal ratio for a manual EA. An ED XR6 revs higher so a shorter ratio would definitely be better, but I'm not sure a 3.7 would actually be an improvement.

Would be interested in everyone's thoughts.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 04:50   #4 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

Hey rollin, if you buy the 3.7's, will you sell your 3.45's to me?
Old 01-25-2003, 14:07   #5 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Rollin

Note that as the the rear gears get shorter that you are more liable to get wheelspin off the line on a hard launch. Consider using a slick type tyre if you seriously want to lower your 1/4 et.

Also what model Falcon are you driving and do you know your race weight?
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 19:17   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

my car and all the info i can give you is on my website: see signature...

i have heard that for an optimal quarter mile time it is best to have your engine spinning at 10% past peak power as it crosses the line, and since it is spinning at 3800rpm already, a slightly shorter diff ratio might get it up a bit closer to peak power as i cross the line.

russelw: thanks for that, you are nearly spot on with your calculations, it spins at about 2k @100km/h at the moment, though its got 215/65/15s (stock EB XR wheels) so 2200 is acceptable i reckon.

Jack thats and interesting theory and it would be interesting to go to the drags on the same day with a 2.92 and a 3.45 and see what is faster, but i dont think the 2.92 would be quicker, at least in my car.

crocodarian: maybe, but the gears are only the crownwheel and pinion, not the planetarys or the LSD mechanism, so you will have to get a diff shop to fit them to your diff and lap them in - i havent got prices for that yet - do you already have a LSD or open centre? a 3.45:1 open centre diff would be interesting...

anakha: wheelspin is not that much of a problem, i have a VERY heavy stereo in the back, best 60ft with current tyres comes from letting it out at about 3000-3500rpm, it doesnt even really chirp into second, even if i pretty much flat-change it.

its only a stock EB XR6 with extractors and a pod filter, so there isnt a great deal of power to deal with. i think it weighs about 1550kg, probably more if you include me inside.

a am seriously investigating a slight N2O addition to the boot though so the traction issue may change...

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Old 01-25-2003, 19:21   #7 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

Hmm... i have a single wheeler lol.
Old 01-25-2003, 19:34   #8 (permalink)
methanol injected clevo

Rollin - Get me 3.7s for $80 (3.9s would be even better) lol !!!!

I have 3.45s atm and will be reaedy to sell them as soon as i source my 3.9s... They are immaculate.

1981 XD Ex-Interceptor - 393C, AFD 4Vs, Methanol Injection, Powerglide

1994 ED XR8 Sprint - 347W, 5-speed, 3.9s

http://hi-performance.net
xr8_sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 19:43   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

the 3.7s will be second hand though, so no gaurantee of their durability, and also i dont know how many sets he can get.

your are on performance forums too arent you? how is that tailshaft hitting thing going?

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Old 01-26-2003, 01:24   #10 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

Hey rollin if you can get your hands on those 3.7 gears for that price they are a bargain, well all depends on the drive line from the engine also, manual or auto, power of engine N/A or forced induction, well I have a EB its supercharged, I have 3.45 LSD in there at the moment, 4 speed auto, these gears are to low for my setup as the blower produces the power, so I need a higher ratio like 3.9s, as I found out over the quarter, I didnt even get into 4th gear I ran a 14.5@95mph.
Im guessing yours is a manual, go the 3.7s you wont be dissapointed, but make sure you have the running gear to suit.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline