The diff and tranny in an EF/EL Ghia...how good? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2004, 21:49   #1 (permalink)

The diff and tranny in an EF/EL Ghia...how good?

Just got a quick question here..

How many k's is the tranny and diff good for in an EF/EL Ghia? I know it will vary wildly, but there should be a good estimate..

Say for a car around 220-240,000 k's. Is the tranny and diff on its way out, or close?

I know it depends on how they were treated, serviced etc, but after about 200,000 is it only a matter of (short) time before they will need reconditioning/rebuilding? How much roughly to rebuild/recondition the diff and tranny. Im thinking about $2,000 for the tranny, dunno about the diff..

Also, when buying a car with this many k's what should i look for in terms of the tranny, diff, and engine? Any weird noises, uneven gear changes etc??

Thanks for any info :)
slodki
slodki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2004, 19:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: The diff and tranny in an EF/EL Ghia...how good?

Anyone got any ideas? Or is it more like, if you treat it properly, dont drive like your in a manual, service regularly it should last the life of the car??

Hope someone can answer this :)
Old 11-03-2004, 22:32   #3 (permalink)
.au member

As youve said, if its looked after then it'll be fine. Obviously fluid changing/flushing is going to help, the bands on the EF/L are non adjustable so dont worry about them, but good maintainence and looking afer it should see it lasting as long as you want it to.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:54   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info mate, just what i wanted to hear :)
Old 11-04-2004, 05:04   #5 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

my fairmont has done 220 000k's, the auto is fine but I have done one diff. I bought it with 212 000k's on it.......am fairly hard on it, still dont know why the diff went. Never did skids or anything....

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 14:13   #6 (permalink)

when my dad used to be a taxi driver, he was driving ef/el's usaully the diffs would start winding at about 700-800 thousand kms.
so just as along as u dnt rev it in neutral at 4,000rvs and chuck it in drive u should be allright
Old 11-04-2004, 15:02   #7 (permalink)
known as tibbo

on average:- trans life is 200k .. diff life is around the 300k mark

after that you start wasting money on trans flushes and solenoids

The diff isnt too bad although they will start to whine at around 300k you can drive them for ever like that
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 15:11   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the answers...

How do you know your tranny is on the way out? Is it through slipping (or does that just mean get a proper service done?) or when you have gears that dont work anymore?

About replacing a tranny, i think i read somewhere that the EA-EL cars all have the same trans, but only the ecu stores all the info how its ment to run etc...if thats the case, if i could find a good second hand trans from an earlier model i could just put that on?

With the whine, does that mean theres something mechanicaly wrong, or is it just a nuisance you have to get used to if you dont want to replace it?

Keep em comming guys..
Old 11-04-2004, 15:31   #9 (permalink)
known as tibbo

you'll find (generally speaking)
- the car slips in gear
- the car takes awhile to pick up a gear (moreso when cold)
- the car has harsher changes than you remember
- the oil turns from red to brown for less and less distance travelled
Of course a good service and flush will sometimes fix the above but when you start changing the oil often, it gets to the point of being more costly to keep a tiring box going

The AU-EA 4 speeds are the same, the front pumps are differnt but if you are looking at a 2nd handie just buy one complete with a torque convertor
** the AU box will need to use your bellhousing but other that it bolts straight up

THe whine is caused by the hardening on the gear sets wearing, i am by no means a mechanic but my understanding is that is what causes the noise... I have seem niosy diffs soldier on for another 200k, depends on how fussy you are, and how loud you have your tunes on :)

It is very rare to actually see a diff fail as such, imo its is only when they start to whine that you look at replaceing the gear set
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 15:59   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the info mate...much appreciated :)

With regards to replacing the gear set? Any ideas of the cost, or is that actually what gets changed/fixed when you recon a diff? So in that case should be around the 700-800 dollar mark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline