Ford Forums banner

Diff widths for XY wagon

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  FSH 
#1 ·
Got a standard 7 inch diff at the moment and want to replace with an XY drum 9 inch in the near future. Will be getting some new rims/tyres soon, but am concerned that maybe the new diff will have a different width then the 7 inch. Can anybody confirm if they are the same width.

Also, I don't want to buy a diff that is supposed to belong to an XY, only to find later that it's off something else, is wider and therefore messes up my rim/tyre offsets. Can anybody tell me the width of an XY 9 inch diff so I can measure prior to purchasing? Thanks.

Also, the wagon will be frequently racing at the drags, so will doing burnouts stuff up the LSD? What's the best (streetable) solution? Detroit locker? LockRite? Shimmed LSD?

#2 ·
The XW-XY diff should be the same width if its a 9" or Borg Warner. The owners manual says they have the same rear track.
I've seen XY's with XA 9" rear ends and they look funny, too wide in the track.
I've got an LSD 9" with 3.00 gears running a close ratio top loader, a 3.25 or 3.5 would be better. Make sure the clutch pack is tight, I dropped a burn out around a corner and stuffed my clutch pack. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.