Differential differentiation?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 07:38   #1 (permalink)

Differential differentiation??

Hi,

How can I determine final drive gearing and whether a differential is limited-slip, without installing and doing it the hard way?

Looking for info re 92 Bird-Cougar
kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2006, 04:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: Differential differentiation??

G'day,
LSD, When you rotate a wheel or axle, the other side will turn in the same direction. An open diff will turn opposite.

Ratio. First inspect for a data tag, if there is one, it will most likely be stamped. Else you need to open the case and do some math. Count the teeth on the Crownwheel and pinion, then divide the crown by the pinion. I.e 37 on the crown and 10 on the pinion, is 37/10 or 3.7:1

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:47   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
G'day,
LSD, When you rotate a wheel or axle, the other side will turn in the same direction. An open diff will turn opposite.

Ratio. First inspect for a data tag, if there is one, it will most likely be stamped. Else you need to open the case and do some math. Count the teeth on the Crownwheel and pinion, then divide the crown by the pinion. I.e 37 on the crown and 10 on the pinion, is 37/10 or 3.7:1

Cheers
Jas
TANKS!! That will do the trick very nicely,.

Cheers yerself.
Bob
Old 01-24-2006, 14:57   #4 (permalink)

I'd say opening it up is the hard way

Here's a link to a driveline calculator website.

http://www.chrismans.com/Calculators.html

First use the "Tire Diameter" calculator to work out your tyre size. eg: 265/50 x 15 = 25.4 inches.

Then go down to the "Find MPH" calculator. You'll first need to drive on the highway at say 60mph and note the engine RPM whilst in you 1:1 gearbox ratio (ie: 4th in a manual or 3rd in an auto). Then simply guess your diff ratio (axle ratio) on the calculator until it makes the answer read 60mph. (Transmission ratio will be 1 and Transfer Case ratio will be 1 also). What could be easier
Old 01-25-2006, 05:30   #5 (permalink)

and if it has the incorrect driven gear for the speedo installed??

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:42   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Differential differentiation??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
I'd say opening it up is the hard way

Here's a link to a driveline calculator website.

http://www.chrismans.com/Calculators.html

First use the "Tire Diameter" calculator to work out your tyre size. eg: 265/50 x 15 = 25.4 inches.

Then go down to the "Find MPH" calculator. You'll first need to drive on the highway at say 60mph and note the engine RPM whilst in you 1:1 gearbox ratio (ie: 4th in a manual or 3rd in an auto). Then simply guess your diff ratio (axle ratio) on the calculator until it makes the answer read 60mph. (Transmission ratio will be 1 and Transfer Case ratio will be 1 also). What could be easier
that's great and will work nicely for the Cougar. Also it has reminded me of some high school math so that I will be able to calculate the turns ratio of my new diff when I find the limited slip device that I'm looking for.
thanks a bunch....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline