Do i have to resize my tailshaft - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2005, 01:55   #1 (permalink)
TheChief - XE Wagon

Do i have to resize my tailshaft

Hi guys,

Ok Ive got my 9" ready to pop into my XE wagon, my question is do you know if i have to resize my tail shaft for it to fit.

My XE is currently running standard 6cyl with c4 and I'm in the middle of the 351c rebuild but i want to pop the 9" in now... also if i dont have to resize it to pop it in now with the 6 and the c4 what about once i drop in the 351 and the C6.

Thanks in advance

Ben
thechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2005, 05:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: Do i have to resize my tailshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechief
Hi guys,

Ok Ive got my 9" ready to pop into my XE wagon, my question is do you know if i have to resize my tail shaft for it to fit.

My XE is currently running standard 6cyl with c4 and I'm in the middle of the 351c rebuild but i want to pop the 9" in now... also if i dont have to resize it to pop it in now with the 6 and the c4 what about once i drop in the 351 and the C6.

Thanks in advance

Ben
Your tailshaft will fit, but the diff end will require a different uni. One that still suits the current 6cl rear tailshaft end, but where it joins the diff itself will require a uni with 28.5mm caps, and 81mm accross. I think its an RUJ-2029, but check with your uni shop(you need the special joint with half an RUJ-2038 and half an RUJ-2039. simple)
The C6 will need a whole new slip yolk with the bigger 31 spline, into the C6.
Lastly, if you are planning on making good power, find the propper 351 shaft with std 9 inch unis as these are stronger.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 15:19   #3 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Would an FMX 31 spline yoke fit the C6? I do know they are the same size as a 31 spline toploader yoke. If that were the case it wouldn't be that hard to locate one, pleanty of ZJ V8 fairlanes running around with FMX boxes.

He may be alright with the uni joints depending on what the 9" came out of. When i instaled my 9" years ago in the XB, the standard uni joints fitted to the diff yoke fine. The diff was from a ZH fairlane with 302 + C4, it used the flat stap type uni joint retainers with bolts, instead of the U bolt type retainers with the nuts on the rear. I think there may have been 2 different size 9" yokes on some of the later X series fords, mine was definitely original and was the standard 6/8 cylinder borgwarner size yoke.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 19:20   #4 (permalink)

<Would an FMX 31 spline yoke fit the C6? I do know they are the same size as a 31 spline toploader yoke. If that were the case it wouldn't be that hard to locate one, pleanty of ZJ V8 fairlanes running around with FMX boxes.>
Yes, FMX & C6 take the same front yokes, I just changed my FMX to a C6.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:36   #5 (permalink)
old B - new B

i think that the XCs had a slightly different size uni on the 9" to what the earlier models were.

i have the XC disc brake job in my XB and always need to make sure i get XC unis not XB ones as they dont fit.
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:25   #6 (permalink)
TheChief - XE Wagon

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, has made this more complicated than i first thought but allot clearer...

Ive just spoken to a mate that has a tailshaft out of a fairlane "ZH" that was running a 302, he's going to give it to me so ill check that out and if it runs the right size uni's ill swap the yokes "as mentioned above" for the c4 then change it back for the c6 later. Failing that ill go the half and half way as xdclevo stated.

Again thanks alot for the info guys

Ben
Old 08-24-2005, 02:00   #7 (permalink)

[QUOTE=351cid i have the XC disc brake job in my XB and always need to make sure i get XC unis not XB ones as they dont fit.[/QUOTE]

Shoud make no difference. All the standard 351 9 inch(non GT) had 28.5mm caps and 81.76 accross. Only if the centre has been replaced with an F100 and GT centres that cause problems when supllying unis.

Ben, if you go the conversion uni, you probably do know, but make sure it is the one correct uni, and not a bodgy made from the two different unis. Oviously caps can't be swapped to different unis.
Old 09-30-2005, 18:42   #8 (permalink)
TheChief - XE Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
Your tailshaft will fit, but the diff end will require a different uni. One that still suits the current 6cl rear tailshaft end, but where it joins the diff itself will require a uni with 28.5mm caps, and 81mm accross. I think its an RUJ-2029, but check with your uni shop(you need the special joint with half an RUJ-2038 and half an RUJ-2039. simple)
The C6 will need a whole new slip yolk with the bigger 31 spline, into the C6.
Lastly, if you are planning on making good power, find the propper 351 shaft with std 9 inch unis as these are stronger.

Hi xdclevo

Did i ever tell you your a genius

A RUJ-2029 was exactly what i needed Thanks again for your help

I only just got it today as the diff is going in this weekend

Thanks again

Ben
Old 10-01-2005, 21:29   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechief
Hi xdclevo

Did i ever tell you your a genius

A RUJ-2029 was exactly what i needed Thanks again for your help

I only just got it today as the diff is going in this weekend

Thanks again

Ben
Good stuff. I have sold these unis for the last 15 years for fords, and a special one for the (cough) holdens boys with the 9 inch. I keep both in stock in sleepy Cairns at all times. I get all the fab shops ask for me as i have unfortuatly been dubbed the "uni" expert up here. Its great as i don't need to look in books no more, and gives me more time on the forums. haha
Old 02-28-2007, 00:12   #10 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
Hi mate, how do you measure the uni caps to get 28.5mm? Do you measure the circle diameter or the length of the cap?
Im buying a 9" diff off my mate and he said it uses the bigger than standard uni's.
I measured the uni cap bores and uni cap diameters on a couple of shafts in my shed and they were spot on 27mm. They still measured 81mm across with the caps on though. Do these sound like the standard shafts and uni's?
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline