Driveline noise? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2003, 06:45   #1 (permalink)
Snow

Thumbs down Driveline noise?

Have had my XR8 for 2 wks and took it back to the dealer for a diff whine that occurs between 95-100 k/hr. The dealer had no hesisitation in booking the car in for two days to " fix the problem". My question is will this fix the "road noise" that I also hear that sounds like driving on gravel roads or chipseal or worn pads down to the rivets up to the point where I stop or should I be looking at more than a diff whine issue here.
My AU3 III xr8 was a rolls compared to this. Any suggestioins appreciated.

BAXR8,auto,18" dunlops,Mercury silver, leather, premium sound (for the road noise)

CB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2003, 22:39   #2 (permalink)

Snow

I have had my XR8 auto 18's and dunlops for 2 weeks now. For the first two weeks I was in heaven - I loved that car - and still do BUT:

After two days started to experience a constant resonance or vibration through my feet and legs from the floor and through my body at all speeds. Could not work out if it was coming through the steering. Wasn't severe but enough to take destroy the driving experience.

I was back to the dealer after 700 km's in a week after delivery. Balanced all the wheels which made it better but did not fix it. Lived with it again over last weekend then back to the dealer this week. All wheels and tyres have now been matched balanced (which was supposed to have occured on the first visit) and the problem has all but disappeared. I still feel a "giggling" sensation as I'm driving over average suburban roads but the workshop supervisor attributes this to the XR8 suspension settings. Its not a limo ride.

No diff, tailshaft or brake problems though - yet. Got to love the sunroof, the leather and the look of the 18's. Still not sure about the auto though. I opted for the auto at the last minute after 13 years in a manual. Though that I had better get with it and try the new sequential shift technology. I still find myself dropping the sequential shift down before corners but its not the same as a manual.

Iv'e never been a Dunlop fan and again after 20 years of driving, this experience has just re-enforced my prejudice.

Given the build dates for our cars must be very similar, maybe you are experiencing the same source of problems.
BeansNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline