Driveline Shunt; Finally gettng some action from Ford. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2004, 04:44   #1 (permalink)

Driveline Shunt; Finally gettng some action from Ford.

Many BA owners with XR6T's or Boss powered cars would have experienced driveline shunt, especially if they have a manual.

Prior to the GT we had a manual XR6T that had bad shunt, but much to my dismay, our GT is even worse. Anyhow last week l took the car into Strapp Ford in Melbourne 3 hours from where l live to see what they could do. l have previously taken it to the purchasing dealer only to be told "they are all like that, its a high performance car you know!" The service manager took the car for a spin and agreed that it was bad and equal to the worst he had driven. Told me he would get onto Ford and see what he could do.

True to their word l got a call today to advise me that Strapp had spoken with Ford who were arranging to send out an Engineer whose job it is to travel around Oz and evaluate customers complaints on the BA. This engineer will evaluate the car and then sit down and meet with the reps from Strapp and myself to discuss what, if anything can be done. This is no guarantee that the car will be fixed, but its a big step in the right direction. This will be the last chance l give Ford to sell me a car without a Flintstones driveline, its not good enough on a $60k plus car. If my car can be driven by a Ford engineer and deemed acceptable, l will be playing the field, minus Ford, next time.

Thumbs up to Strapp Ford for great service
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 05:22   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Re: Driveline Shunt; Finally gettng some action from Ford.

Hey Simon,

Hopefully good news is coming your way for the beautiful orange beast. Wish you all the best in having the shunt addressed. If it was me I would negotiate an exceptional change over figure on the Series 2 GT, rather than threaten them with leaving FORD products. At 2000km I still have no driveline shunt and have been told that this issue has now been greatly minimised by the diff supplier to FORD (same as Holden).

Headís up mate, it should be all good from here.
Cheers,
Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:36   #3 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

Hmm, pls let us know how you go (I know you will), this is very interesting to me cause if I could get rid of the shunt the car would be perfect. What's the name of this guy that travels the country, that will be good to know.

Vic

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:37   #4 (permalink)

Simon... I too had the shunt.. That eventually turned into a whine.(85..95 Ks) It is the dana M86 diff, There is DEFINATELY a back lash & pinion bearing preload problem with these diffs! My dealer didn't blink an eyelid when I complained.. He just ordered a new assembly.. It took 6 weeks, but was fitted in 4hrs and turned my beast into a much less clunkier one.. (I just wish the newie had of had 3.7 gears in it!)..Keep at em.. They ARE aware of the issue!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:09   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebaby
Hmm, pls let us know how you go (I know you will), this is very interesting to me cause if I could get rid of the shunt the car would be perfect. What's the name of this guy that travels the country, that will be good to know.

Vic

Yeah mate, no problem, l'll keep the thread updated as things progress. l agree, if my car didnt have shunt l would be raving about it to all who would listen. It spoils an otherwise excellent car.

Sorry l dont know the name of the Ford engineer but l guess l will in a few weeks.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:19   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Simon... I too had the shunt.. That eventually turned into a whine.(85..95 Ks) It is the dana M86 diff, There is DEFINATELY a back lash & pinion bearing preload problem with these diffs! My dealer didn't blink an eyelid when I complained.. He just ordered a new assembly.. It took 6 weeks, but was fitted in 4hrs and turned my beast into a much less clunkier one.. (I just wish the newie had of had 3.7 gears in it!)..Keep at em.. They ARE aware of the issue!

Thanks Charlie.

Ford would be very aware of the shunt, its a matter of them deciding to take some action and spending the $$$ to do something about it. l am not sure what the purpose of the engineer wanting to drive my car is as l am sure they could locate plenty of BA's with the same problem.

Strapp did comment that they could look at ordering another diff and sticking it in but it may not resolve the problem, and as an added bonus, l could end up with a whining diff to boot as has happened to some on the forums. l appreciate them getting Ford involved.

It will be interesting to see what the engineers take is on the issue.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:11   #7 (permalink)

I might follow this one too, since my drive shaft broke, its not bben the same, it now has alot more backlash than it did before. It also has a bad whine around the 90, 95k mark, its very noticeable, the new GT, 922, is a pleasure to drive, no backlash, or whine and the clutch is much better than mine, keep us posted on this one, as I might talk to my dealer too.
Adventra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:58   #8 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Always keep hearing good things about Strapp Ford, its good to see there trying to get on top of things for there customers...must have a well run service department....
and are Ford Forum sponsor also.....

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:30   #9 (permalink)

I actually just had an oil change done there at Stapp Ford in Burwood,very impressed with their new facilities.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:32   #10 (permalink)
mmm...kilomawatts...aargh

I'd be interested in driving someone else's GT to compare with mine as far as driveline shunt goes. Any takers?

Falcon GT Club of Australia

FPV & XR Owner's Club of Victoria

I drive, I vote and I'll go out of my way to see you out of government Mr Bracks. You lied your way into power and you lie to keep it. Enough lies!!! You're out of here!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline