Driveshaft Angle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 09:54   #1 (permalink)

Driveshaft Angle

My XD has been lowered about 2.5 inches. This results in the gearbox output shaft pointing down and the tail shaft pointing up towards the diff.

Obviously it would be optimum to have no angle at all and a straight line all the way to the diff.

Anybody know what size angle would be considered out of limits. Cruising is OK, but I'm worried a boot load of HP won't do it any good.

I assume a fix would be to fit some sort of spacer under the gearbox where it sits on the cross member, which would raise and straighten the "kink" in my driveline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 10:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Driveshaft Angle

Just stumbled across an old magazine article on the topic.

Max uni-joint angle allowed is 3*. A perfectly aligned driveline isn't optimum. Uni-joint angle is optimum at 1*, but must be <3*.

If there is an angle at the front uni, there must be an equal and opposite angle at the rear uni flange mount or vice versa. ie: the gearbox output shaft and diff pinion axes should be parallel.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:27   #3 (permalink)

Re: Driveshaft Angle

u can put wedges under diff to change the angle of diff uni, anyway the unis take up a fair bit of dangle, what about if u had a caravan behind u car and drove from melbouren to darwin, ur diff is the same angle as the dood towing his van> right, he made it there and back no problem, and look at my old 4x4 it had a 6" susspension lift kit, had to change the length of drive shafts, the angle there was heaps.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline