Driveshaft rubbing with Superlows - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 23:44   #1 (permalink)
NC2 Fairlane Ghia

Driveshaft rubbing with Superlows

Since I put superlows in my Fairlane the driveshaft rubs on the top of the trans tunnel. There is about an inch between the driveshaft and the top of the trans tunnel but when going over bumps it still hits and it is much worse if I hit a bump under hard acceleration. Is there any way of fixing this other than raising the ride height of the car? Also does anyone else have this problem with superlows?
Any help appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driveshaftrub.JPG (9.3 KB, 91 views)
NC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 00:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: Driveshaft rubbing with Superlows

I had the same problem after fitting superlows. I did a quick fix by lowering the gearbox with a few washers until I found out the cause.

In my case, the problem was caused by a combination of an alloy tailshaft (which is bigger than the steel one it replaced) and using the wrong cross member (out of an XH ute) which was holding the gearbox higher than stock. I switched to the appropriate e-series cross member and the problems went away. Doesnt rub now even with 4 ppl in the car and towing a boat.

edit:
What shockers are you using?
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 00:15   #3 (permalink)

this does this on my ef and Xe
one way around it is on the xe i got it up on a hoist got a hummer and bashed the shit out of the tunnel
frdpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 00:29   #4 (permalink)
NC2 Fairlane Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
I had the same problem after fitting superlows. I did a quick fix by lowering the gearbox with a few washers until I found out the cause.

In my case, the problem was caused by a combination of an alloy tailshaft (which is bigger than the steel one it replaced) and using the wrong cross member (out of an XH ute) which was holding the gearbox higher than stock. I switched to the appropriate e-series cross member and the problems went away. Doesnt rub now even with 4 ppl in the car and towing a boat.

edit:
What shockers are you using?
I am using gabrial standard length shocks at the moment.
Old 10-19-2004, 00:33   #5 (permalink)
Life in the fast lane!!

Had this problem originally on the ED under HARD acceleration, diff winds up and the tailshaft hits the body.
Quick fix is to belt the crap out of the bodywork and fit a longer bumpstop above the diff.
Best fix is to fit a 2 piece tailshaft as I did, these are available from Mel Wood.

One or 2 knocks is all it takes to ruin a ford tailshaft (put it out of balance) especially on the long wheel base cars. Personally would avoid any high speed driving (160+) if I were you.

If you go for the quick fix then I suggest that you have your tailshaft professionally rebalanced at the same time.
M-6010-B50 5.0l Block,Forged Scat crank,Forged H-beam rods,Forged Probe Pistons,Crank Girdle,Custom oil pan,T3 Ported heads,Isky Valve springs,83mm billet T/B,TrickFlow inlet,Custom cam,Di fillipo extractors,3" system,EL Elec fans,3 core rad,T3 MAF/airfilter,Unichip,T56,2 pce tailshaft,4.11 LSD,DBA rotors.
http://www.fordgallery.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=13136&thumb=1
FUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 00:36   #6 (permalink)

I would be thinking about some harder shocks. To get 1 inch movement at the end of the trans tunnel there must be A LOT of movement in the rear axle. When mine was hiting there was less than 1cm clearance and I only had to drop it a few more mm to fix the problem. Just wait and see what everyone else has to say first. I dont want you to waste money on my advice if I am wrong.

BTW: you might want to get your driveshaft balanced.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 01:08   #7 (permalink)
known as tibbo

my NL does that with the SLS disabled... It is too low, have you fitted bumpstops?
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 01:55   #8 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Have you checked the engine & gearbox mounts?
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:17   #9 (permalink)
NC2 Fairlane Ghia

Thanks for all the help guys. I went outside to try the bounce test on the shocks and on the first go the backend just sunk like there were no shocks fitted at all??! Then on the second go the car went down but came up very slowly? By the forth bounce they started working. So I think the shocks are stuffed which is wierd because they aren't even 6 months old yet!
Old 10-19-2004, 14:20   #10 (permalink)

Maybe that the standard shocks can't get enough travel with the superlows, try new shorter shocks first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline