Ford Forums banner

E series Wagon diff into XF ute?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Soxx 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried to shovel a diff assembly from an E series wagon (leaf spring) into an XF ute or wagon, I know I will have to change the drive shaft and the wagons are all rear disk (is this going to be a problem?) The 3.23 ratio from ad EB/D would be nice

#3 ·
suspension is the same, so i really dont see why not.

i was going to do the same with my XF ute, but got the NC instead so...

you'd have to change the handbrake cable and get brake lines from a disc brake XF wagon - anything upspec / late will have both the cable and lines.

try and get an LSD, otherwise there wouldnt be much point to the swap other than the ratio change / discs

#4 ·
edv8wagon said:
Has anyone tried to shovel a diff assembly from an E series wagon (leaf spring) into an XF ute or wagon, I know I will have to change the drive shaft and the wagons are all rear disk (is this going to be a problem?) The 3.23 ratio from ad EB/D would be nice

first you will need disc master cyl from ghia/ fairlane etc, handbrake cable should work or 87 wagons had disc rear in XF,
BUT the hand brake cable is different at the diff end, i modified one by extending the bits where the last part of the cable outer is held(cut and shut)
i put an EB ghia sedan diff in an XE sedan for same reason and was dissappointed as LSD is soft to put it lightly, also need tailshaft in your case probably wagon one,

for what its worth id pay a diff joint to change the ratios in your diff if thats all you want, i put a ZJ fairlane diff in my ute with the whole brake bits and it has 2.92 LSD tight.

i'd like to know why you want 3.23 with a crossflow motor? in my opinion if they're standard they work better with 2.92. unless you've got a bigger cam or are having trouble getting moving from a stop with a heavy load

#5 ·
deankdx said:
i'd like to know why you want 3.23 with a crossflow motor? in my opinion if they're standard they work better with 2.92. unless you've got a bigger cam or are having trouble getting moving from a stop with a heavy load
Thanks for the info, I think I'll go with the ratio change option. I want 3.23 because the wheels are 225 75 R 15 all terrain tyres, with these tyres and 3.23 it should bring it back to a similar final drive to 2.92

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.