EA 5speed into EF auto - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 05:55   #1 (permalink)

EA 5speed into EF auto

Sorry if this has been covered before but can I use an EA 5 speed gearbox in my EF fairmont. I realise that the computers will be different but will an EA's five speed, flywheel and clutch all bolt up to my EF's I6? If so can I use the EF auto crossmember and tailshaft or will I need the EF (EA?) manual bits? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2004, 00:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: EA 5speed into EF auto

Use as much of the EA stuff as you can to make it easy. The bits you want are the gearbox, crossmember, pedal box, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, clutch cable, and bellhousing. I think that is all...

You then need to sort out the EF computer - either trick the auto or find a manual ecu.

I think it has been covered here before as well so do a search and see if there is anything else you need.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 00:36   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that, do you know if the pedal box is the same for the EA and EF and will it fit without modification. Do I need to look for any particular model EA or will any of the five speeds fit? I'm hoping to get a junker EA take all the manual bits out that will work (get the box rebuilt if needed) and put it all toghether with an EF manual computer and I wasn't sure if all the EA bits would work.
Old 09-07-2004, 00:42   #4 (permalink)

Pedal boxes are not the same but can be made to fit easy. I have some pictures of the modifications that are nessisary that I will find and post if you lik. I think you are better off trying to get an EF box, and if that fails try to get the newest 5 speed with the lowest k's possible. The newer to box, the stroger it is likely to be as ford seem to have made several upgrades to the t5 during the e-series falcons.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:05   #5 (permalink)

Here is the mod that I needed to make.

The problem area was right at the top of the box where it connects to the underside of the steering column. In the EA-ED's there are threads sticking out of the pedal box that go through the mounting of the steering column and bolt on top (in the picture they are pointing down so you cant see them). On the EF's, the steering column has bolts hanging down that go through the pedal box and bolt underneath. I just took an angle grinder/drill/hacksaw to the pedal box and gave it roughly the same dimensions as the EF one. The work is ugly coz I was REALLY pissed of at this stage as i had to install and remove the pedal box twice and I just wanted it all to be over.

I think there was also a problem with some bracket that hangs down in front of the brake pedal which hits the EF brake switch, but that can be bent out the way easy as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedal boxes copy.jpg (62.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-08-2004, 02:24   #6 (permalink)

I will go looking for an EF manual on the weekend, don't know how common they are around here I don't think I have ever seen one at the wreckers (a manual EF falcon). I think I also read that ford sells the manual pedal boxes brand new still so I will look into that as well, thanks for the picture and extra info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline