EA Auto - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 03:04   #1 (permalink)
EA II S-pac Owner

Question EA Auto

Hey there,

I have an EA II with the BTR 4 speed gearbox.. Problem is as follows..

As revs lift above 1500rpm there is a whine'ing noise apparent.. As the revs lift the noise becomes louder.. Anywhere above 2500rpm the car doesnt pull hard like it used to but seems to go no where as the revs pull and the noise sounds like something is going to blow up..

Anyone heard of anything similar to this before?

Please dont tell me I need another gearbox :)

EAII Falcon S
Mods: Pacemaker extractors, 2.5" Mandrel Bent Redback Exhaust, Crow Stage 2 Cam, K&N, Sony head unit, Kenwood 6x9" and Clarion 4"...
Coming: 17" rims, and King superlows..
Jakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2005, 06:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: EA Auto

G'day,
first check your fluid levels on LEVEL ground.

If you have a tranny cooler, check it is not blocked.

After that. A band adjustment. (most people will tell you the LE series trannies cannot be adjusted....this is a lie! i have the procedure if required)

A good test is how well it reverses. Reverse is normally the first to go, and if the bands are adjusted at first sign of trouble, you will get a longer life. (i got 375,000 out of mine) The only reason mine has been replaced is that i am out of band adjustment now.

Other things that can/should be checked.. ALL wires to the battery...one of these can send the tranny computer haywire.

The whine COULD also indicate pump failure.
Run some of the checks, but you may be up for a tranny. Regular service is the only way to keep these trannies happy.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:42   #3 (permalink)

i agree on checking all the wires to your battery especially. the tranny computer is a bad mannered piece of technology. i know of a friend who used to have an eb and his auto used to go crazy when he was towing his trailor. it all came down to some lights that were not working on his trailor. go figure...
Old 08-04-2005, 06:53   #4 (permalink)
EA II S-pac Owner

Thanks guys..

When you said check reverse do you mean "is it sluggish?"..

Each gear engages quickly and doesnt feel like its slipping down low.. its only when the revs get higher (in any gear) that power isnt making it to the rears..

Could be electrical but the noise makes me think otherwise.

Also fluid is clean and at required level..

EAII Falcon S
Mods: Pacemaker extractors, 2.5" Mandrel Bent Redback Exhaust, Crow Stage 2 Cam, K&N, Sony head unit, Kenwood 6x9" and Clarion 4"...
Old 08-04-2005, 07:41   #5 (permalink)

G'day,
hard to make a firm analysis from this far away....but will help as much as we can.

Are you SURE every gear is being used. I.E take off and count the changes, you may need to experiment with this, using different power settings and modes. The LE 85 is good at hiding faults.

I have some experience with them, and if you want faster replies, you can mail me direct at... webmaster@jasonpigdon.com

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:32   #6 (permalink)

Could be one of your solenoids leaking. The hotter it gets , the thinner the oil gets and then it whistles through the hole.

Mine was doing it last week so i wacked a bottle of tranny sealer in it and it seemed to have worked. Mind you the car is still sluggish (unrelated fuel probs....i'm hoping).

I'd use the sealer as a last resort though. I'm waiting on tax cheque and i'll throw in a 2nd hand box.
EAtDUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:05   #7 (permalink)
EA II S-pac Owner

Yeah, She is still changing through every gear and I am still able to hold it in any one gear. Its just as the revs rise the power goes no where and the whistle screams..

Also the sound is always apparent (not varying with temperature) this includes both hot and cold days as well as engine temp..

Dont really want to be forking out for another gearbox

EAII Falcon S
Old 08-21-2005, 04:59   #8 (permalink)

Have you checked for any fault codes? Could be a sensor or solenoid problem in the trans.
MADAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:21   #9 (permalink)
EA II S-pac Owner

No, Havent checked for fault codes.. Would someone be able to inform me how to do this (in reasonable depth).

Cheers

EAII Falcon S
Old 08-24-2005, 18:46   #10 (permalink)

http://www.fixingcars.com.au/demo/ea...trival_cat.php

that describes quite well how to retract codes out of an ea cfi, also what the codes represent and what to consider when tackling a problem..... not sure if its the same for mpfi though. If the link doesnt work google 'ea falcon' and it's the first or second hit. cheers.
ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline