EA auto problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2003, 07:59   #1 (permalink)
Insane By Nature

EA auto problem

Gíday all,
Iím going to start spending some time under the hood of dadís EA rather then my EB, so Iíve come to you all for some advice.

Ok heres the low down. Itís a 3.9lt EA with a 4 speed reconditioned auto. It was replaced a few months back because the internal clutches on the original auto jammed and sent shrapnel into the system destroying the trannie. We had it back at the shop about a month after it had been replaced because they had not removed all the rubbish from the cooling system and it had clogged up the autos oil filter and caused it to play up. All was well until recently. At the moment its symptoms are as follows:

- In the morning it takes a few minutes for the transmission oil to heat up before it can shift into gear to move (in this case reverse gear)
-When changing between revers and drive it takes about 5 or more seconds for it to engage drive gear.
-It shudders when taking off from traffic lights.

The oil is topped up to the correct level and shows no signs of burning. I suspect that itís the filters clogging up; probably still from the shrapnel left behind when the original transmission died.

I want some ideas from people with experience, either professional or personal on this before I take it down and have the filters changed and the transmission serviced and flushed. I donít want to spend the money on that if itís not going to help as a reco transmission is not cheap for these cars.

All comments welcome and thanked in advance,
Defective User
defective is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2003, 12:43   #2 (permalink)

If it is not long since it was back in the shop the second time, I would take it back again.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:12   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Did they replace the radiator and trans oil cooler? If not they are probably blocked with bits from the broken transmission.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:09   #4 (permalink)

Sounds very much like the torque converter is draining and needs time to fill up with enough fluid to work.

I'm not familiar with these boxes (only had a 3speed in the past), but isn't there a one way valve to stop this?

Definitely take it back to the place it was purchased from and get them to fix it!

My XF had a stuffed auto, so I got a reconditioned box and new torque converter (shift points and pressures modified for max performance). The first replacement TC played up doing similiar to what you have.. so I took it back and got it replaced. The second one was fine tho.

Crazy.. but an XF can do 90km/h held back in first.. and literally launch changing from 1 to 2.... gotta love a modified auto!

RIP my ol' esky.. many years of good service
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 18:01   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

hi guys
i would take it straight back to the people who built it
these 4 speed auto convertotr dont drain back its sound like either the filter is clogging up with shit or the radiator cooler has shit itslef lettting all the cooper from the cooler clogg up the filtewr or the block who built it didnt do it right
Old 05-25-2003, 03:52   #6 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Got to agree with eskyboi - sounds like the torque convertor is emptying back & therefore you're getting no drive until it refills - usually only noticeable when the car has been standing for a number of hours. Been there, had that - really bad when you want to quicly zip out of a side road at the end of your street, you put you foot to the floor - the rev's climb but you crawl away from the stop sign.....as that 18-wheeler cast an ominous shadow over you....
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 03:13   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

im sorry guy i have to disagree about the torque convertotr drianing back on a falcon 4 speed
Old 05-26-2003, 04:24   #8 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Why don't they drain back? Are they running a separate reservoir or something - like a sealed unit? I must say the sluggishness of the select would seem to be related to poor pressure/clogged filter - but it would take a LOT of debris to clog a filter - and if so would you not also have accompanying slip?. Isn't there a strainer also to remove any substantial bits? I don't claim to be an expert but the basic philosophy is certainly not beyond my grasp. Can you extrapolate?
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline